Weapons Carrier

79x100

Question

3 answers to this question

I also wondered this.

The only reasoning I have been able to come up with was that the Army simply coded them Dodge WC63 (For instance) like a model of car, and the GI's made up a name to go with the initials, hence Weapons Carrier.

Don't know if this is true or an old wives tale, but is the only explanation I have been able to come up with, thus far.

Cara

x

As far as i know (could well be wrong) one of the original purposes of the WC was as a high mobilility artillery platform (the WC55's gun truck being the 1st incarnation). But by the time they'd gone into production they were dropped as an idea & the 55's stripped of their guns and returned to what we now recognise as 51's & 52's (Lloyd?). The WC is, as with DUKW's etc a ref to year of comission, wheelbase, weight etc... its predecessor being the Dodge VC series.

They are named as Weapon(s) Carrier on both the build cards (filled on production line) and data plates so i would guess that the name originated with the vehicle. WC - Weapons Carrier being a convenient 'handle' for the pickups, WC for the rest (after all a weapons carrier ambulance... :?

Hope this helps