US WW2 Diesel Engined trucks

Stormin

Question

As the thread title. Were there any Diesel engined trucks manufactured by the US during World War 2 for military use?

Plenty of British trucks of the period used Diesels Scammel Pioneer, Albion CX22, Aec Matador to name a few. But I'm struggling to find anything but petrol engines from the US.

I know the Diamond T was fitted with a Diesel engine but think this was post war.

The reason I'm asking is my Ward La France has a Cummins engine fitted which I'm informed is of the correct period or there abouts. The owner says an Old Boy recognized them as being fitted in the International trucks during the war. I can find no record of this.

Everything I find says the American policy was for Diesel fuel to be used by the Navy.

Found a list of engines here but no mention of Cummins at all. This seems strange as Cummins were rumoured to be on the brink of financial ruin before the War but military orders saved the company and fortunes turned round after the war.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/usa/engines.asp

Can anyone else expand on this?

3 answers to this question

The US did use some diesel trucks, Mack NR9 10 ton 6x4 (Mack-Lanova 130BHP), White 1064, spec as Mack but CumminsHB600 150BHP, Diamond T 980/1 Hercules DFXE 185BHP. The US also supplied various trucks as Lend Lease to Britain fitted with diesel engines,FWD CU fitted with CumminsAA-600, Mack NR4 tank transporter, Mack diesel, Federal 604 6x4 tractor for semi trailer, Cummins HB600. Ther were also various wheeled and tracked prime movers which used diesels.