East Fortune Airshow

On Saturday I went to East Fortune Airshow. East Fortune is a wartime aerodrome situated in East Lothian. Nowadays it is where Scotland's museum of flight is situated. The weather was cloudy and did not bode well for an air display. However, as the morning wore on the clouds lifted a bit and we were set to see some flying in the afternoon. We spent the morning looking around the hangers where the static exhibits are displayed. Concorde takes up all of one hanger. Quite an impressive bit of kit.

Hanger two has mostly civilian aircraft displayed within. Hangar three is stuffed full of military planes. buccaneer, harrier, spitfire, Me163 Komet, Mig and many more. There is even one of the engines from the Me110 flown to Scotland in 1941 by Rudolf Hess.

Anyway, enough waffling, here are some of my pictures, which, considering it was a bit dull have come out not too badly.

Buccaneer, Catalina, Gypsy Moth and Hawker Hunter in weird colour scheme.

buccaneer (Medium).jpg

catalina1.JPG

gypsy moth 1.JPG

hawker hunter1.JPG

And more. The Eurofighter Typhoon. Seeing this close up was phenomenal. According to the commentator it has 40000 lbs of thrust, and can climb vertically, 24000 feet in 20 seconds! Also one of my favourites, the Avro Vulcan, this one has the world record for the longest bombing mission, having taken part in the Falklands conflict.

typhoon.,.JPG

typhoon...JPG

typhoon......jpg

vulcan1.jpg

Been a few years since I was there. Nice to see the pics.

....Also one of my favourites, the Avro Vulcan, this one has the world record for the longest bombing mission, having taken part in the Falklands conflict.

Held for a while, but I believe this record was broken by a B-52......from Wiki

"On 2–3 September 1996, two B-52H struck Baghdad power stations and communications facilities with 13 AGM-86C air-launched cruise missiles (ALCM) as part of Operation Desert Strike, a 34-hour, 16,000 statute mile round trip mission from Andersen AFB, on Guam—the longest distance ever flown for a combat mission."

Steve