977th....

Guest matt

Hi all,

I have a black and white photo which shows a Dodge WC-52 with the following bumper markings,

977-AB B-2

So far I have been unable to find any information on these markings. there is a slim chance the pic could be a still from a film but by the background I doubt it.

Any ideas?

Matt.

Cheers Colin,

I did find them on the web but I'm not sure there's a connection,I don't have a scanner but I'll show you the picture somtime. there's rubble in the road and a 37 pat British belt kit dumped at the side of the road,all passengers on the Dodge are wounded,some are in tankers helmets and jackets,another has what appears to be a one piece camo suit as used by the USMC in the Pacific,in the background there's a WC-64. the buildings look like it's Europe.

Matt.

Hi Matt

I don't know if it's any help but the camo HBT coveralls were issued to some troops in the ETO but were soon withdrawn after a no of troops were shot due to mistaken identity as the SS camo suit was very similar.

Cheers

Degsy

Hi Degsy,

That's the suit I mean,the guy is wearing an M1 helmet and double buckle boots,others in the photo are wearing M41 and M43 jackets and para boots. it's a strange shot and I'm not 100% sure it's not a still from a movie but there is no post war gear in view at all and the wounds of the men in the Dodge look real enough.

Matt.

Hi Lloyd,

Oh sh1t I knew somone whould say that! I don't have a scanner and even if I did I probably couldn't use it!

You maybe right about them being French troops,but the bumper markings look American with a star in the center...

I will see if I can get some help and post the pic.

Matt.