Rebuild of 1943 GPW

Having lost my previous masterpiece regarding this rebuild, I will try again.

Quick update. I have stripped the vehicle down to just a rolling chassis. Next step is to rub down the frame and repaint. The great server crash of 2008 didn't really affect the project as I had just applied for another job and was busy swotting for it. Now that the results of that are known, I can get on with my Jeep.

For those of you that have such things lying around, I am looking for some Ford parts to replace Willys stuff on the vehicle. Cast your eye over the wanted list and see if you can help.....

1 front left spring (8 leaf).

Ford Tub. Any condition considered. Free is my favourite word.

Ford Axles front and rear (working condition or requiring minor rebuild) can exchange Willys axles currently on vehicle.

Basically, if you have it, I am willing to swap or exchange valuable consideration.

Hopefully, I will be able to get back into the garage tomorrow and undo more bolts on things that I have no idea about. This really is the fun part of MV ownership.

2008_03040056.jpg

2008_03130020.jpg

Just a little teaser to start the thread again.

Spanners away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Is that realy you Bob i have missed you.Reckon what happened to the forum happened to that heathrow landing:-D

Is that realy you Bob i have missed you.Reckon what happened to the forum happened to that heathrow landing:-D

SO your ignoring me now,after all those constructive comments i gave you:-D

I'd like to shake the web host firmly by the throat.

Theres a very long queue.look forward to your continuing restoration.Seen any bog men beasties lately?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay latest update from the sun swept fens of Cambridgeshire.

I decided to disc sand the frame to get rid of the flaky paint and rusty bits. So far so good. I was given a few 3M Roloc discs by a mate and I am pretty impressed. Found more of the sacred "F" marks and underneath the British Bronze Green is US Olive Drab. For some reason, a previous owner has welded shut the "jigging" holes in the rear frame. This is a Ford thing and allowed Henry to make Jeeps at a a cracking rate.

The rear cross member was originally painted all white over the OD. Presumably, this helps in the blackout??

No piccys at the mo' because it was very dusty dirty work out there today.