What year did you join the MV hobby?

Jack

One of my first memories was a series II SWB Landrover used for parascending by a CCF unit in 1970. I ended up buying it in 1987 along with its sister vehicle ( 1961 IIa SWB). The first one I sold in 1989, but the latter was my present to my wife on our wedding day in 1997, and is still a great drive! The Militant MK1 arrived in 1990, and the Explorers in 1997/8! Sadly not currently allowed any more???

Jules

1987, I was given a Munga and a special driving license...

I used to make the fuel mix with the used oil from ambulances (petrol ones, changed every three months) filtered.

Lots of blue smoke, usually with people telling me that I had a ring or valvles problem. Then I explained that the car was two strokes...

Two years after I was given a Guzzi Nuovo Falcone, but when I was caught surfing on the petrol tank on the parade ground they wanted my license back.

Anyway I had just got my commission and I had a driver....

Then in 1999 I got FOC a wonderful UAZ469B but, having had a sudden beer tokens scarcity I had to give it away.

Now I have three Land Rovers, one ex-MOD and one ex-NATO, the remaining one is a DiscoII for the family.

• 2 weeks later...

First started helping to repaint a Saladin Armoured Car at Swindon TA Barracks (Royal Wiltshire Yeomanary) with my Dad in 1987/88 at 12 years old. (He was ex-RWY)

Bought my first GMC off of 'Deuceman' in 1993 at the grand age of 18, but didn't own a normal car until I was 23'ish! (Well I say normal, it was a Rover Metro!)

After that is was GMC 352 1/4 share, GMC 353 & Ben Hur, Dodge WC-51, GMC DUKW, GMC 352 with Set No. 7, M5A1 Stuart, Willys MB, Dodge WC-56, GMC 353 with Maxson AA, Chrysler Royal, GMC 353.

Sadly it was not financially viable to keep them all, so as one came, another invariably left. My old Dukw is now giving pleasure trips around Dublin's river Liffy and my old Stuart M5A1 is the subject of two photo's in this months CMV magazine at the Mons Tanks in Town event, now under the fine ownership of the Phil Benham Military Collection.

Time moves on. I look back and wish I could have kept them all, but I don't own an aircraft hangar! Its hard enough finding storage for three vehicles.