Advice needed - aerial wing boxes for my ‘76 LR FFR LWT

Egg Bango

I'm looking for some advice on fitting aerial wing boxes to my '76 FFR Land Rover Lightweight. I don’t have a radio fitted currently and no plans to install one right away, but I want the aerial setup to be period correct with the option to fit a radio later on when time and budget allow. Could anyone recommend the correct type of aerial wing boxes and aerials that would have been used on a ‘76? I believe it should be Clansman, but I’d appreciate any guidance on part numbers and types, and how the boxes should be mounted. Looking at my vehicle, pic below, it’s had aerial boxes attached in the past, still retains cable stowage on both wings, with a few telltale holes. Thanks in advance!

IMG_8370.jpeg

Those wing top cable stowage boxes are for a LWT converted for Clansman - so you need TUAAM boxes (automatic tuning)  , these would be fitted from late 1970's , originally you would use  ATU boxes - thes are open at rear for manual tuning .  ATU are less common now ,  TUAAM are not so easy to obtain , then you need a BALUN ring on top of the box  (balance/unbalance).  then on top of the ring - you need a Base antenna mount.  All the Clansman have drifted up in £ these last few years.  For rivet - counting it's important to use the correct antenna base.  LATE Clansman spcific LWT have different wings incorporating a stowage box on underside with a spade shaped lid on top (secured with two quick release clips of U.S.A. manuf.  these and the recepticals mounted to the box can be quite £ expensive.  Probably the original ATU co-axials & stowage mounts on the inner of the wings have been removed.  You could have a pair of addl. stowage boxes in the tub mounted to transom.

Sellers now with TUAAM  strip down and sell bits individually to maximise £ profit.  A good bare box on Ebay is abt.  £50  (some boxes have stripped mounting bolt threads - avoid)  ,  used but good actual TUAAM ab't  £30  / new  =  £50  , BALUN ring  -  used / sometimes new  , range  £12 to £20.  Even the later (Defender era)  Base antenna mount (a few Mk. but I would avoid) - identified by a more serviceable black multi-wingnut. .  The correct base antenna mounts ,  there are three versions that differ slightly , ID can be difficult with one Mk. because they grind the earlier Mk. No. off the rubber - they all have a antique looking collet mechanism that is easy to damage , avoid any with damaged parts because the screw , knurled nut & clamp parts are expensive & not often sold complete (good complete - min.  £20).

Until abt.  5 years ago a complete TUAAM assy. was quite readily available.   A alternative was to obtain a Defender kit , that could be used complete (the co-axial was same for LWT)  + you would have a few bits to sell on as not required , however the Antenna Base would be rivet counting wrong as the aerial section collet had the BIG black wingnut irrespective of MK.