B60 engine carnage

01CA81

Hello everyone,

Im in the process of stripping my original B60 and transferring parts to the new one. This is some of the carnage that was unearthed in the process.

I found out last summer that despite my stubborn attempts of playing with fuel and spark, I overlooked the basics. Compression check revealed a dead cylinder. It actually ran quite decently considering the damage to include a few short drives with no noise. I should have known better…but I digress. Bore scope revealed a crack in the cylinder liner and damage to the piston from fod ingestion. Other projects took precedence as I weighed the options of rebuild, new engine from the UK and others. 

A few months ago I found a NOS B60 Mk.5G/L for a song, which is a stationary application so all the Ferret bits will have to be transferred over. In the final picture. 

Right - here’s the damage so far. I’ll pull the head off when the swap is complete and the new engine is happy.

IMG_5174.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

IMG_5159.jpeg

IMG_5160.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

IMG_5163.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

Edited by 01CA81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, teletech said:

Does the stationary engine have a higher compression ratio than the Ferret engine?

Great question. It should, all literature I’ve found points to Mk5 being the wet sump version of the Mk6. I asked around and couldn’t find much on the G/L spec but it was certainly a military not civilian application.