Bedford MWD 1944 vehicle markings

Mwd saint

Question

Hello 

I may be stupid, I tried to research this but I am not sure I have the right answer. I am looking for the correct markings to put on my 1942 Bedford mwd to reflect the second batallion Gloucestershire regiment that landed on gold beach June 1944 at 11am. I know they were part of the 56th infantry brigade part of the  59th division 

so I think the formation sign is a yellow sphinx on a black half circle, but other than that I am lost and looking for some guidance 

thank you 

1 answer to this question

OK, but first, you have to be sure you have the right unit, in the right place at the right time.  According to stuff I have, it landed on D-Day under command of 50th (Northumbrian) Division, later coming under command of, variously 7 Armoured, 1st Canadian Army, 49th and 59th Infantry Divisions. 

The badge was a yellow sphinx set on a black circle within a yellow square, but I haven't seen any photographs of vehicles carrying that particular sign. 

Within the brigade the Arm of Service (AOS) number would have been allocated in order of regimental seniority which, in this case, would be SWB (at 24 in the order of seniority of battalions of infantry of the line) 2nd ESSEX (at 56) and 2nd GLOSTERS (at 61). 

Then it would depend on the seniority of the brigade within the division, which is straightforward for normal infantry brigades:

senior red (with 55, 56 & 57 as the numbers)

second green with 61, 62 & 63 for its three battalions and then,

for the junior brigade, brown with 67, 68 & 69. 

So, I would think that depending on which brigade the GLOSTERS were in they would be the junior battalion hence either red 57, green, 63 or brown 69. 

While in 49 & 59 Inf Divs, provided the brigade made up one of the normal three infantry brigades then the AOS marking would be as above. 

If it was in the infantry brigade within 7th Armoured, then it would have the following: Green 63 (the other battalions being green 61 & 62. 

I have no idea where it fitted in in any Canadian division - you would need to do quite a bit of research to find that out conclusively

But, and this is a big but - all bets are off if it was given a separate set of numbers because it was independent.  I have lists of numbers for independent tank/armoured brigades, but not infantry ones!

And, of course, it presupposes that vehicles were correctly remarked and in a timely fashion when the brigade was re-subordinated to the various higher formations.

So, a bit difficult to go from there - you really need some photographic evidence, I think.  

There is this book I have just found which may help it's at £34 (don't go to Amazon where it's £112!)

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/56th-infantry-brigade-and-dday-9781441111401/  

Edited by 10FM68
Added link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1