20" divided wheel instructions.

Mark Ellis

Just wondering if there's any official instructions for changing tyres on the Divided wheels?

I've received an email from someone who's going to put 20" divided wheels onto his DAF 4x4. Says his mate has been torquing the nuts up on the 20 bolts that hold the wheels together, and sheering the bolts. I thought it was just as tight as you can with the standard wheel brace?

Looked through all the Stolly files that I have, and can't see anything on actually changing the tyres.

Thanks

image.png

EMER WHEELED VEHICLES A 409 Pneumatic tyres, inner tubes & associated road wheels. Identification, Care & Maintenance. Sep.1974

A 417 Road wheels – Divided disc type. New clamping bolts & clearing hole in knave of wheel. Mod Instr No.1. May 1960

2610-A-409-301 Pneumatic Tyres, Tubes, Associated Road Wheels. Technical Description. Mar.1995

2610-A-409-421 Pneumatic Tyres, Tubes, Associated Road Wheels. Preparation for Special Environments. Jan.1995

2610-A-409-511 Pneumatic Tyres, Tubes, Associated Road Wheels. Failure Diagnosis. Apr.1995

2610-A-409-521 Pneumatic Tyres, Tubes, Associated Road Wheels. Repair Instructions. Jan.1995

2610-A-409-531 Pneumatic Tyres, Tubes, Associated Road Wheels. Inspection Standard. Mar.1995

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fv1609 said:

EMER WHEELED VEHICLES A 409 Pneumatic tyres, inner tubes & associated road wheels. Identification, Care & Maintenance. Sep.1974

A 417 Road wheels – Divided disc type. New clamping bolts & clearing hole in knave of wheel. Mod Instr No.1. May 1960

2610-A-409

Many thanks, Clive.
I'll put in an FOI when the current one finally comes back.

1 minute ago, fv1609 said:

Yes see what you can do, I have a feeling what I have are FAESPs which are tedious to search. If it is just a question of divided rim torque then I assume that would be in the Inspection Standards.

I seem to recall that everything touched by a driver, is as tight as they can get it with the relevant wheel brace or spanner provided with the vehicle to do that job.

Will be interesting to see what's in those manuals, if they decide they have them

Although some of the info I have is on FAESPs I have found the printed AESP series. Inspection Standards merely refers to other Inspection Standards for individual components in very general terms and no help at all.

As is so often the case more meaty information is to be found in the EMER. See the note at the bottom of the page. Bear in mind this was published 63 years ago so it would be prudent to check what is said on an individual vehicle particularly if it was manufactured after 1960.

IMG20231115144006.thumb.jpg.c6152fedb26e0a67377d2f713a6ccd74.jpg

• Like 2

I have these:

JSP 314 Joint Service Catalogue of Tyres, Tubes, Valves, Wheels, Tyres & Wheel Ancillaries (less Aircraft) Nov.1975

JSP 314 Joint Service Catalogue of Tyres, Tubes, Valves, Wheels, Tyres & Wheel Ancillaries (less Aircraft) Dec.1985

JSP 314 Joint Service Catalogue of Tyres, Tubes, Valves, Wheels, Tyres & Wheel Ancillaries (less Aircraft) Sep.1993

The newer one does list the screws used for clamping but be wary of the units used.

IMG20231115150208.thumb.jpg.e4cb5ef2daf14da4f3ad7b611c792de7.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Although some of the info I have is on FAESPs I have found the printed AESP series. Inspection Standards merely refers to other Inspection Standards for individual components in very general terms and no help at all.

As is so often the case more meaty information is to be found in the EMER. See the note at the bottom of the page. Bear in mind this was published 63 years ago so it would be prudent to check what is said on an individual vehicle particularly if it was manufactured after 1960.

Thanks Clive.
I've been through EMER V640, 642, 647, 648 and 649, as well as the User manual and Crew guide, and there's nothing about the divided disc wheels, other than they they are used.
Being from 1963 onwards, the parts list is 5/8th

26 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

I have these:

JSP 314 Joint Service Catalogue of Tyres, Tubes, Valves, Wheels, Tyres & Wheel Ancillaries (less Aircraft) Nov.1975

JSP 314 Joint Service Catalogue of Tyres, Tubes, Valves, Wheels, Tyres & Wheel Ancillaries (less Aircraft) Dec.1985

JSP 314 Joint Service Catalogue of Tyres, Tubes, Valves, Wheels, Tyres & Wheel Ancillaries (less Aircraft) Sep.1993

The newer one does list the screws used for clamping but be wary of the units used.

The Stolly part is or was LV6MT14/2530-99-809-2685

image.png

The image isn't opening for me. But when I have time I'll look up that NSN in JSP 314.

I don't know if there is anything in Def Stan 53-5. These days Def Stans are hidden behind the Defence Gateway & although I have authority to access these, once a Standard becomes obsolete they are quick off the mark to delete or at least make it inaccessible. In a few cases I have managed to retrieve deleted Standards on the grounds of historical research but they are anxious that these outdated publications do not get into circulation. So by & large they seem to get wiped away. Anyway another document for you to chase!

DS53-5.jpg.24f1ed2181ca160b453ac0ed6984ea41.jpg

You have to reset your password every 6 months I think, otherwise you get deleted. It used to be much easier but now even logged into the Gateway you have to jump through the StanMIS hoops. Then there are dire warnings that there are consequences for attempting to log into area you are not authorised to visit.

Many many years ago DefStans anyone could download them & that was before FOIs started. But there are many firms who sell Def Stans which seems a cheek as they are Government publications & not theirs to disseminate, particularly with all the hoops that have to been jumped through to get legitimate access.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Many many years ago DefStans anyone could download them & that was before FOIs started. But there are many firms who sell Def Stans which seems a cheek as they are Government publications & not theirs to disseminate, particularly with all the hoops that have to been jumped through to get legitimate access.

The biggest joke is a couple of companies and military museums selling restricted manuals, when you can get de-restricted AESP free from MOD