Track grip, Sand, Bar grip tyres - Verse - Aden's rocky roads

Mark Ellis

I always thought Stalwarts had been fitted with Bar grip tyres from day one, because they had bar grips on when I drove them in the 1980s.

But I knew that all of Alvis' Saladins, Saracens, Salamanders and even Stalwarts sold to other countries were all fitted with Track grip tyres.

Then I noticed that the early photos of Stalwarts in Aden, in 1964 also had Track grip tyres.

I'm advised that the Stalwarts did indeed arrive in Aden with Track grips, but the rocky roads were ripping them apart and Sand tyres were first tried.

Plenty of photos of other vehicles in Aden with Track grips, such as Ferrets with the wings still on. But later photos show the wings removed to reduce the amount of metal flying around after hitting a mine - and sand tyres.

The last photo shows a Stalwart with the familiar Bar grips. I could never quite put my finger on why this photo looked so "fresh" until I realised the tyre situation - and it's got 6 brand spanking new Bar grips on.

I guess there's a report somewhere of the trials, and the changes to Bar grips. If anyone has a photo of a Stolly on Sand tyres I'd appreciate a copy for the website. Thanks

stalwart-aden-rasc-5-mk1.jpg.b7075b2ad59f48217716ec17e546bbf3.jpg

stalwart-aden-tank-museum-1-mk1.JPG.55e0026897e420f1b5531b295890e223.JPG

stalwart-aden-tank-museum-2-mk1.JPG.a1b9cdab5356bb9162eb5b4655cb4d53.JPG

stalwart-aden-mk1.thumb.jpg.449f6cded11088834665af5ccab3d97e.jpg

• Like 1