Pictures needed

84KB11

I have just started the restoration of my third ex-Racal land rover.

Unlike the other two, I have no idea what this ones function/role was, and so what kit it should carry.

Below is a picture of it at MVS in 2000/2001 (ish!):

width=640 height=379http://www.cvrt.co.uk/images/forums/mvs1.jpg[/img]

The vehicle paperwork that came with it refers to the vehicle as "NC-2", does that mean anything to anyone?

Does anyone have any other pictures or information on 86KB97, either from when it was at MVS or elsewhere?

Thanks,

David

That small hole in the side what is there?

Is it a power socket or for waveguide? If its waveguide I have some pics of Rovers with WG16 (=10Ghz) feeds at the side.

NC may mean Non Census perhaps as the vehicle was used in trials but no census code was yet available as it was undergoing development & a census code had not been dreamed up/allocated??

Hi Clive,

It's got a 240v power inlet socket on each side. On the passenger side there are also two opening flaps about 12" square, one throught the side of the hard top (visible in the pic), the other is lower down where the battery box could be.

Above the lower flap are two foot holes and the edge of the flap opening has a step built in so you can climb up. There is also a BNC antenna outlet on this side.

On the drivers side of the hard top, in addition to the 240v inlet, is a hole where a patch panel (I think) would have been. There is also a very big cut out which is covered over, but looks like it was originally a removable panel taking up about 50% of the hard top side.

Will post some pics to illustrate shortly.

David

Racal made a vehicle based satellite system called VSC501 or TSGT (Tactical Satellite Ground Terminal) which was installed in 110's, i worked with these for a number of years, and they had an array of connections on the outer skins of the vehicles etc. It may of been a development vehicle prior to the final released version.

I did think it may be a Ptarmigan type system (30 Sigs) but i believe that was built by Marconi.

Is there any marked panels with abbreviations etc left in the vehicle....

David, I think that there was a flap here

width=640 height=645http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/img1101.jpg[/img]

That was like this

width=640 height=717http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/30KB7301.jpg[/img]

ie an output of WG16 waveguide. Hole size seems right & number & arrangement of bolt holes. Seen on 30 KB 73, some similarities to 30 KB 77 seen at the same time ie CVD Ashchurch 6-8 years ago?

Hi Clive,

Yes there is a flap there. By chance I have said missing flap (it was rmoved when the vehicle was at MVS and I managed to track it down!).

It houses a single BNC connector.

I like the wave guide idea though, it fits with the potential options, possibly it was mounted on the other side if present?

Do you have any internal pics of 30KB73, or would they have shot you for that!

Thanks,

David

640 Sigs Tp is an EW (Electronic Warfare) outfit, i would be very suprised if you can find a picture of a vehicle fitted out.

The 501 satcom vehicle had a waveguide as per picture, but if it was used by 640 sigs, it would have had quite an array of equipment covering a large frequency spectrum, for either jamming or Sigint gathering.

Thanks Clive/Adam for the help so far,

I think it is going to be quite a challenge to find out what this Landy did.

As Adam says, pictures of EW vehicles are rare (although I have a few).

I know it was not a jammer or direction finding (I have both of these variants already), and it is not the basic signal intercept vehicle (have pictures of this).

Keep the thinking caps on, and keep ducking the shots for the great pictures Clive!