Mercedes WWll OM65 motor

mammoth

Over in the pre-WWll vehicle section of this forum I have been telling the story of my 1911 Dennis fire engine and plans to restore it. Originally fitted with an antique style White & Poppe T head engine it was found with a Mercedes diesel engine show-horned into it. The vehicle was sold off by New South Wales Fire Brigade around 1930 after which none of it's history is known.

It has been out in the weather for many years with loose covers on the engine and injector pump so when I drained out 9 litres of water from the sump my heart sank. Nevertheless strip down revealed internals were surprisingly good. DSCF3257-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.f1da6f48fb508cd9adc5860b5f0223cb.JPG

No no 3 piston was well stuck with a slightly rusty bore but has since been removed and will be serviceable. Some of the cam followers are proving to be stubborn. The injectors seem Ok but the Bosch injector pump may be too far gone so I am looking for a replacement.

The total of knowledge gleaned from the internet about this engine is; model:  M65/3 or M65/4 of 4,849cc 105 x 140 bore & stroke built between 1936 and 1943, delivering 74bhp at 2250 rpm. This model was a significant redesign of the earlier4942cc OM65 introduced circa 1933. A lot of the figures are a bit fuzzy or conflicting across different web sites

This engine was fitted to the L3000  truck, both army and civilian, of which many thousands were made.

I am seeking help  with injector and cam shaft timing timing,  as well as sourcing a serviceable injector pump.