British Bonnet / Cab Roundels

Rootes75

Question

Just about to start marking out bonnet up but tbh am a little confused about the actual sizing on the RAF type identification roundels painted on the British bonnets /cabs around 1942.

I've had a good trawl of the Internet and of period photos and there doesn't seem to be much conformity. I have found one site that quotes it's a 31" roundel, 6" yellow, 10" blue, 10" white and 5" red...but even the old period photos differ greatly.

Was it just a case of painting the roundel as large as you could? Widths of the colour bands to suit?

Does anyone who's painted on have some good diameters to go from?

4 answers to this question

From air recognision roundel on British AFV's in Middle East:-

There are no specifications as to size or layout, which is somewhat lax of the staff officer responsible compared to later instructions. 

More on the topic:-

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235106557-bedford-mwd-in-caunter-scheme-with-air-recognition-roundel/

I don't have Mike Starmer's book on the desert campaign camo schemes, but in his "Sicily & Italy 1943-1945" (well worth having) he states the following,:

"carried over from a June 1942 instruction to the 8th Army in the Western Desert.  All vehicles were to carry an Air Recognition Sign on the horizontal surface.  This new sign was to be a roundel, 2 feet 7 inches radius, with a central red disc of 10 inches diameter and blue and white rings each of 10 inches width together with an outer yellow ring 6 inches wide.  Where the vehicle to which this mark was to be applied was too small for this optimum size, then it should  be painted as large as possible and in the same ratios.  This marking was intended to be applied to a permanent surface such as a roof, bonnet or hull top but not on canvas.  Naturally where there was no alternative then a canvas top was utilised.  This marking can also be seen without the yellow surround."

Hope that helps.

So, I marked the roundel to size on the bonnet and now I've applied a couple of coats free hand without stencils. Before anyone points out, the Blue has come out too light but in my opinion it actually still looks good and tbh when you are infront of the truck you cant actually look over it moreso across it. I am happy to leave it like this for now.

53082961347_522e4233a9_z.jpg

• Like 2