VW Iltis

Its me

Hi there everyone i was just arfter a bit of advise and that advise is for a VW Iltis if i was going to buy one what should i look out for anything in particular and also what are the parts avliability like in this country (UK) and what are the advantages and disadvantages of owning one any info will be great thanks very much.

Kyle

Kyle

VW183 (Iltis), is fast, very able off and on road. most parts are taken from normal VW cars like the bettle and passat or Audi range like the 80. But it's not simple, and doing some jobs are not for the faint hearted. Main problems are rust in rear body, electrics, electric petrol pump, drive shafts, gearbox, seals, hood. All are getable, but only from germany or other none uk suppliers.

I have a parts list on fiche, and some extra info. I enjoy mine, but it is really just a later version of the MUNGA. the drive train and body are very much like each other.

Hi there everyone i was just arfter a bit of advise and that advise is for a VW Iltis if i was going to buy one what should i look out for anything in particular and also what are the parts avliability like in this country (UK) and what are the advantages and disadvantages of owning one any info will be great thanks very much.

Kyle

Andrew knows far more technically than me. I bought mine for pretty basic reasons, I liked the look of it and it was modern enough to suit having young kids in it. Now I am selling mine, so i will step away from my vehicle for a mo out of correctitude.

The Iltis is good fun, I don't imagine it is much different to an LR (having never driven one) or anything similar in the class. Like Andrew says, bits come from abroad and VW UK have just stopped getting bits from their store. The main man for bits is Achim Wagner in Germany who appears to have bought up tons of spares when the things were sold off by the Bund. He can set prices and effectively control the market. The Iltis is a parts bin on wheels as Andrew says but the main drive train stuff is the prototype for the Quattro. The main reason the vehicle was not Audi badged was due to corporate branding policy.

My Iltis is a converted deisel and runs on a Passat 1700tdi. It doesn't make it a rocket, but the staying power and strength is there. Rust is an issue - mine has a small hole in the bonnet - apparently they can go weak there. Fitting the roof takes patience. My vehicle is a roadworthy road legal motor that needs the TLC I do not have the time to offer it, which is a shame because I love the old tub like mad.