Self Canceling Indicators (Trafficators)

Ian J

Hi folks,

the turn indicators on my Defender Wold 90 do not self cancel.  I set the front wheels at straight ahead and pulled the steering wheel.  There are 2 tongues on the underside boss of the wheel that clearly are supposed to engage with the blue plastic cam on the steering column shaft.  There is an arrow on one lug of the cam and this should point to the left (eg at the indicator switch assembly.  (according to the Wolf workshop manual).

I have tested the cam by turning the plastic ring in both directions (and back) and all is well, cancels the switch every time!  Put the wheel on and no go!  I am suspecting that the wheel is no fully engaging on the splines and thus the tongues are not engaging with the cam sufficiently enough to turn the cam.  Has anyone out there had this issue and if so what magical fix did you come up with?

Cheers

Ian J

Hi Gordon, mine is 1998.  Yes the dog on the bottom of the steering wheel is a simple interference fit and easily adjusted.   It seems to be in the correct orientation but perhaps the steering wheel isnt bedding fully on the steering shaft.  I'll keep looking. 

Cheers 

Ian