RASC 1960s Vehicle Markings

austen33

Question

I'm doing some research into military cultures and am interested in the vehicle markings (is this the correct term) on the following © IWM TR 20705, so would be grateful for any assistance in identifying them. (I have looked/searched and due to previous knowledge 'sort of' know what they are (or can guess) but if anyone can help definitely saying what they are - I will of course reference the username and the forum on anything I use unless, told to do otherwise. Thank Austenimage.thumb.jpeg.101b58ef796eafa38f5539182f455459.jpeg

4 answers to this question

The 9 on the yellow circle is the "Bridge Plate" number, roughly the weight of the vehicle and is used to control vehicle weights on military or civilian bridges and ferries.

The formation sign on the LH side indicates the larger formation the unit is attached to. I dont know this formation, but I belive this photo was taken in Cyprus.

The Arm of Service on the RH side is 58 Coy Royal Army Service Corps

• Like 1

Offically I believe the Bridging Plate should show the minimum class of bridge that the vehicle can cross rather than the weight of the vehicle but certainly during the war there was a lot of confusion over this.

Edited by REME 245
  • Like 1