Engine Stand

HWade

Question

Hello Chaps, I am wanting to fit a 1941 ford V8 engine into a stand, and I am looking for recommendations on engine stands, has anybody used one for a v8 and whats out there.

Many Thanks

Howard

6 answers to this question

Hi Howard

Are you looking to buy a pre-made one or make one?  Also engine stand is a rather broad term, covering everything from rotatory one use for assemble work or test stand.

I've built a number of engine test stands for running in engines.  They work so nice that I have built several of them to store spare engines on.  They are designed originally for Chevy Straight Six but also designed the same stand to take a Ford Flat Head Engine.

Take a look around on my web page and you will find various information on test stand, assembly rotary stand, and heavy engine hoist bar for working around CMPs.

Here are the plans and more information http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/Engine Test Stand.htm

Youtube of engine testing

614986778_ScreenShot2021-05-08at1_42_08PM.png.fd062deea1d974232c9db53df32a78ae.png

Hello Phil, thanks for that, i do have stands i can alter to use as a test bed. But i am after a rotating stand so i can take the engine apart for inspection and rebuild. Also the best location to fix the stand to the block i would imagine remove the clutch housing and then bolt onto those.

Hi Howard

The flat head that I'm working with is heavier than the one you are probably dealing with so my solution was heavier than the standard rear mounting plate version you see.  I added an adjustable front swivel.  Working on Ford flat heads there are a number of things that you really don't want to have the engine swivel around the axes of the crank but rather fore and aft.  The work stands are shown in some of the Ford Lincoln Manuals so here is my copy.

Hope this is of help or at least of interest.

Cheers Phil

Flat Head Engine 1.png

Flat Head Engine 2.png

Flat Head Engine 3.png

Flat Head Engine 4.png

Howard,

When you design it, think about where the centre of gravity will be and how much will it change with removal of major components..  You also need to think about how you are going to rotate it and safely hold it in a set position. It could be disaster if it suddenly rotated when not desired.

I found that the problem of imbalance to be significant when working on the Meteor engine even though I was using a worm drive gear-box to rotate it.

Think about the height that you will be working at.  My Meteor stand meant that I was working at an ideal height and this significantly improved productivity and quality.  I could rotate the engine around its crank axis which was ideal for a V12.

You will find a decent engine stand to be invaluable.

John