Bedford 28hp head gasket leak

O type

Evening all good a problem with my o type. Coolant running out the side of head gasket running down the side of push rod chamber bloke has been refaced and head checked I even put a smear of wellseal on the new gasket. Tighten head down to what the manual says but once left for a couple of hours it starts leaking with even running the engine any pointers would be handy don’t really want to put rad weld in etc as it’s a brand new radiator 

1 minute ago, Zero-Five-Two said:

Are the head bolt holes in the block clear?  Any debris in the bottom will cause the bolt to bottom out and lock, giving the impression of being tight to the correct torque, but not actually pulling the head down properly. 

Yes all clear and blown out with an air line I’m not sure if it’s worth putting the head down a little bit more 

What torque have you tightened to? I was told by Norman Aish at Bygone Bedfords that correct torque is 78 - 83 lb/ft, increased by 10 lb/ft if anti-freeze added. When you say the head was checked, does that include pressure testing to reveal any cracks?

Also worth checking that the coolant is circulating properly - if the system is pressurising it could force coolant out at a weak point, possibly.

Once warmed up, retighten to same torque (as Mike has stated), then check the valve clearances again. You often find it will go down a bit more. Incidentally, I recommend K-Seal for leaks in the cooling system, it will not block the radiator. Better than the dog turds we used to use (Barseal!), they did cause problems.

9 minutes ago, mike30841 said:

What torque have you tightened to? I was told by Norman Aish at Bygone Bedfords that correct torque is 78 - 83 lb/ft, increased by 10 lb/ft if anti-freeze added. When you say the head was checked, does that include pressure testing to reveal any cracks?

Also worth checking that the coolant is circulating properly - if the system is pressurising it could force coolant out at a weak point, possibly.

Yes the head has been pressure checked and a straight edge check. Yes there the torque setting iv used. Looks like it’s coming from a few place between the head and block all on the push rod side Iv not even run it yet I put the head on today without any manifolds and filled it with water so maybe worth tightening a bit more?

21 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Once warmed up, retighten to same torque (as Mike has stated), then check the valve clearances again. You often find it will go down a bit more. Incidentally, I recommend K-Seal for leaks in the cooling system, it will not block the radiator. Better than the dog turds we used to use (Barseal!), they did cause problems.

Thanks always tried to stay away from additives like that it’s weird refaced block head straight and a brand new gasket surly it should not leak?🤔

1 minute ago, O type said:

Thanks always tried to stay away from additives like that it’s weird refaced block head straight and a brand new gasket surly it should not leak?🤔

K-Seal is the best, it never blocks radiators, but seals weeps quickly. Well known in the trade.

Just a thought, did you get the gasket the right way up? I have rebuilt many Bedford engines without problems, so it has to be something simple. As I said, re-torque the head to 80lb/ft in the correct tightening sequence.

7 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

K-Seal is the best, it never blocks radiators, but seals weeps quickly. Well known in the trade.

Just a thought, did you get the gasket the right way up? I have rebuilt many Bedford engines without problems, so it has to be something simple. As I said, re-torque the head to 80lb/ft in the correct tightening sequence.

Funny you should say that I got the gasket from Chris mortar as he gets them made I wasn’t sure as it didn’t have a top or bottom mark on it and can go 2 ways so we went with gasket ridges around the combustion chambers facing up towards the head so not sure if that’s correct? I might run it up to temp then retorqe it. Really don’t want it filling the sump up as just had the crank done