17pr SP Valentine S279600

B series

Here is an official photograph with stamp, and caption on reverse stating:  17pr, SP Valentine, Front view, right, photo number 13770

This looks to me like a new vehicle complete with CES 

I have no further information about vehicle of photo, just posted for interest, discussion and comments.

image.png.7f931f8e15f126184fbfc10f5a3b2e10.png

image.png.2867b512f2c87ca9bc80eeaa58a94fed.png

B series

• 10 months later...

Rather belated reply here but -

It seems to be one of a set - one I didn't know of. The Canadian War Museum library and archives have three others, none showing the gun traversed. 

Two small things that make me scratch my head: the first batch of Archers (I forget how many) had a spotlight where the reel of signal cable is on this one. The signal cable was located on the front end of the right track guard. Since as Adrian said this is one of the first-produced Archers, I think it may have been modified after, removing the spotlight. 

The other thing I hadn't really remarked on is the long wrapped bundle near the front. That doesn't seem a likely official place to permanently stow something while traveling. 

StowageRear.jpg.31bfb1600ea6bda8cb4f8ad155d00468.jpg

That's the back..... Looks like a tank sheet and would be the ideal place to stow it ready to cover the vehicle. I suspect it is just for the engine or fighting compartment though as there seems to be more under a net on the nearside which is a more normal place to stow covers and nets.

Edited by Adrian Barrell