British 10 cwt trailer help.

Ian43

Hello All,

I recently purchased this British 10 cwt trailer and I would like to know more about it. i.e. Manufacturer, Year, Model etc.

According to the seller, it was acquired from the RAF in the late 1940's.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a ID plate, is there any way to find out it's identity?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

20191103_121503.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ian43 said:

Hello All,

I recently purchased this British 10 cwt trailer and I would like to know more about it. i.e. Manufacturer, Year, Model etc.

According to the seller, it was acquired from the RAF in the late 1940's.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a ID plate, is there any way to find out it's identity?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

It is a 10cwt Trailer, Lightweight, No.2. made under a contract by Motor Panels Ltd, and only a 1,000 supplied. I forget the year of manufacture, but think it was 1943. My brother bought one many years ago and it had been in service with the Norwegian army before disposal.

Thanks for the information Richard.

I've read somewhere that the No 2 trailers built by Motor Panels Ltd were to Contract S7943 and had Census numbers X6208181 - 6210180.

Would these Census numbers have been exclusive to these trailers? Because doing some basic calculations there are more than 1,000 numbers between these.

Assuming that this information is correct then I will need to find a 10cwt trailer ID data plate from this range for my trailer.

Does anybody have a suitable one available please?

Ian.

Hi Ian,

My error, should have been 2,000 trailers. That group of numbers was allocated to that contract. There was a plate on my brother's trailer, but barely readable although the serial number and census number were clearly stamped. I think that someone may have replicated these plates some years back.