Anybody  got any experience with generators . I have an Air log generator with water damage to its rather over complicated electronic control system . I need help to chose and wire in a modern AVR   to make it work . Ideally somebody in South Devon I'm happy to donate money, beer, use of my lathe,welders. repair things on your vehicle I'm just crap at 240v electrics   

It may not be the AVR, as all they do is sense output voltage and vary excitation voltage to suit. Most AVRs are totally sealed against moisture and have a protection fuse. Could be the windings at fault. There is a simple quick test that will show if your AVR is duff and demonstrate what the alternator is capable of producing  

get a competent person to do this first so you know where the fault lies

We have tested the output and as far as we know its fine . But the over complicated electronic control system shuts the generator down after 45 seconds . We have established that it will work as a fixed speed generator with a generic AVR we just dont know how to wire it in or what to get