stalwart brakes

justinb

i'm just about to start rebuilding the brake callipers on the stolly with new seals etc,with normal brake fluid i'd use rubber grease on build up ,am I ok to use rubber grease on seals designed for the mineral hydraulic oil on the stolly ?

cheers

justin

i'm just about to start rebuilding the brake callipers on the stolly with new seals etc,with normal brake fluid i'd use rubber grease on build up ,am I ok to use rubber grease on seals designed for the mineral hydraulic oil on the stolly ?

cheers

justin

Use the mineral hydraulic oil used in the system to lubricate the seals when fitting them.

When I acquired a Stalwart I had it drummed into me that I should never take any standard brake fluid within 50 feet of the vehicle. Apparently the standard DOT 4 fluid will destroy the seals designed for hydraulic fluids.

Consequently I used a Comma LIC10 hydraulic fluid for a couple of years. It seemed to work but the system did weep in places - particularly the accelerator slave. I was then told I was still doing it wrong and should only use LHM (Lockheed Hydraulic Mineral?) for the brakes accelerator clutch and power steering. I obediently swopped over though I didn't drain the system just changed to LHM. Overall a big improvement - slave cylinder isn't loosing anything now. The winch power steering reservoir still needs regular attention, but otherwise the LHM seems to do what it should.

Nic

09ER31

When I acquired a Stalwart I had it drummed into me that I should never take any standard brake fluid within 50 feet of the vehicle. Apparently the standard DOT 4 fluid will destroy the seals designed for hydraulic fluids.

Consequently I used a Comma LIC10 hydraulic fluid for a couple of years. It seemed to work but the system did weep in places - particularly the accelerator slave. I was then told I was still doing it wrong and should only use LHM (Lockheed Hydraulic Mineral?) for the brakes accelerator clutch and power steering. I obediently swopped over though I didn't drain the system just changed to LHM. Overall a big improvement - slave cylinder isn't loosing anything now. The winch power steering reservoir still needs regular attention, but otherwise the LHM seems to do what it should.

Nic

09ER31

i always use LHM ,for the cvrt and the stolly ,never had any trouble with it .

thanks anyway Nic.

justin