Fox steering and fuel problems

DINGODOUG

Question

I am having problems bleeding a FOX steering system and get nothing but foam coming out the bleed nipple on the steering box. I can't see how air could be getting into the system which has been converted from self-sealing couplings to screwed joints. I have replaced the pump which has made no difference though I cannot vouch that it was any better than the previous pump. Does anyone have any clues how to sort it? My servicing schedule recommends OMD 80 as the correct fluid and I have been using a 20w/50 mineral oil. Is this right?

Also having ongoing problems with fuel and the engine has been cutting out after what feels like a float chambers worth of fuel has been used however this is intermittent and it sometimes runs for longer. I have changed the needle valve , blown through the fuel lines, cleaned the filter and used my entire stock of naughty words but the problem remains. Could it be that the fuel pump is not up to the job? Iam getting desperate.

Doug

5 answers to this question

Doug,

I have worked on Fox during the whole of its service life and power steering was a common problem. Ensure your supply reservoir is kept to the correct level during bleeding, but not over full as I have known them overflow once the engine has stopped.

I am assuming you have the front wheels off the ground so you can go lock to lock in bleeding process. The pumps did suffer badly, the roller vanes breaking up when in Service. This might have been caused by cavitation as I am sure the self sealing couplings were not a good idea on the suction side. I see you have now dispensed with that, good move.

regards Richard

Doug,

I have worked on Fox during the whole of its service life and power steering was a common problem. Ensure your supply reservoir is kept to the correct level during bleeding, but not over full as I have known them overflow once the engine has stopped.

I am assuming you have the front wheels off the ground so you can go lock to lock in bleeding process. The pumps did suffer badly, the roller vanes breaking up when in Service. This might have been caused by cavitation as I am sure the self sealing couplings were not a good idea on the suction side. I see you have now dispensed with that, good move.

regards Richard

Thanks Richard, I have replaced the pump but same result and the roller vanes seem ok. The reservoir seems to be pressurising and I got a fountain of oil from the filler cap vent so wonder if the filter is blocked or if I am overfilling? Iam at my wits end !!

regards

Doug

Thanks Richard, I have replaced the pump but same result and the roller vanes seem ok. The reservoir seems to be pressurising and I got a fountain of oil from the filler cap vent so wonder if the filter is blocked or if I am overfilling? Iam at my wits end !!

regards

Doug

Hi Doug,

It was always my thought that the reservoir was not large enough as I recall the oil level was barely covering the top of the filter element. When I bled the system, I always had someone keeping the level up in the reservoir, but on occasions if they were not concentrating, they put a bit too much in and I have seen the jet of oil from the cap breather hole when the engine was turned off. When you are bleeding do you have someone topping up? If not you maybe allowing air to enter from tank if level was slightly down. I have a feeling the element is a commercial item, memory tells me it is a Hobourn Eaton pump and also reservoir, also used on civilian vehicles.

regards, Richard

Richard,

Before our Fox was consigned to the "needs a rebuild" shed we were having some issues similar to this, our mechanic friend was over and you just described the burping we experienced. Funnily he said the same thing, "needs a bigger resevoir".

Then we ran into a massive safety issue with the fuel system that took our breath away and it was shunted off to be a winter project.

Hi Doug,

It was always my thought that the reservoir was not large enough as I recall the oil level was barely covering the top of the filter element. When I bled the system, I always had someone keeping the level up in the reservoir, but on occasions if they were not concentrating, they put a bit too much in and I have seen the jet of oil from the cap breather hole when the engine was turned off. When you are bleeding do you have someone topping up? If not you maybe allowing air to enter from tank if level was slightly down. I have a feeling the element is a commercial item, memory tells me it is a Hobourn Eaton pump and also reservoir, also used on civilian vehicles.

regards, Richard

Thanks again Richard, You are correct about the name of the maker and I have a feeling it was also used on Rolls-Royces ! Bleeding is not a one-man job so will have another go with help.

regards

Doug