ferret inner tracta shaft

jim fl4

Hi All,

I have a lack of drive to a rear wheel. Props ok so decided to pull the wheel station off and identified the inner tracta shaft happily rotates by hand whilst transfer box in gear. I assume this means either inner tracta joint broken or blow bevel gears? the oil is fine, a bit black but smooth and no obvious particles of metel!

The suspension spring and the upper suspension strut are thwarting any further removal and I was wondering how to proceed...cautious because of the big spring! Any tips gratefully received.

Also, I've noticed the coupling sleeve appears to be held in place by what looks like a pair of rivits, anyone know how best to remove these in order to slide the sleeve off?

Thanks

Jim

I have now removed the suspension spring and the manual says to 'pull the inner tracta joint out of the bevel box housing', only thing is its not for budging!! I'm at a loss and wondering if I'm missing something. To be clear, I've got the inner tracta housing flange and the sliding sleeve exposed, I;ve also removed the 4 small screws around the bevel box housing.

If anyone has experience of getting to a damaged inner tracta (joint) I would be most grateful to learn :).

Thanks

Jim

I have now removed the suspension spring and the manual says to 'pull the inner tracta joint out of the bevel box housing', only thing is its not for budging!! I'm at a loss and wondering if I'm missing something. To be clear, I've got the inner tracta housing flange and the sliding sleeve exposed, I;ve also removed the 4 small screws around the bevel box housing.

If anyone has experience of getting to a damaged inner tracta (joint) I would be most grateful to learn :).

Thanks

Jim

They can need some persuasion, especially if someone had used 'gorilla snot' sealer around it. This term comes from when I worked in army workshops and occasionally we would come across this, it was a rubbery compound that let you lever it out a touch then it pulled back in. It was not something in the procedure, and the guy who applied it, probably never dismantled them after doing this. You could rig up a slide hammer that attacked to the flange on the challis.

They can need some persuasion, especially if someone had used 'gorilla snot' sealer around it. This term comes from when I worked in army workshops and occasionally we would come across this, it was a rubbery compound that let you lever it out a touch then it pulled back in. It was not something in the procedure, and the guy who applied it, probably never dismantled them after doing this. You could rig up a slide hammer that attacked to the flange on the challis.

Thanks Richard, your words are encouraging me to at least believe I'm on the right path! Do the 4 small set screws need to be off? I've got a bit of movement, enough to see the 2 shims sandwiched between a pair of bronze rings. Should I praise were the large o ring is?

Cheers

Jim

I do not know how the ferret is set up, but is it like the dingo where there are two housing with bolts positioned axially mounting two flanges together which have shims between it??

On the dingo you have to undo some plugs on the side of this housing then rotate the shaft around till the pins line up with the holes and then drift the pins out trying not to mushroom the ends over. this decouples the sliding splined sleeve from the two male splined shafts and lets the leg come off then.

Best of luck,

David.

Thanks Richard, your words are encouraging me to at least believe I'm on the right path! Do the 4 small set screws need to be off? I've got a bit of movement, enough to see the 2 shims sandwiched between a pair of bronze rings. Should I praise were the large o ring is?

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

You should refit those screws. The challis cannot come out of the tracta housing until withdrawn from bevel box as there are shouldered pivot pins retaining it in position. It helps greatly if you study the sectioned drawing in EMER so you are aware of its build up.

Richard