Saracen Wheel station

Mettlen

I'm in the process of stripping a saracen and in particular the wheel stations. I've got most of it off and unloaded the torque shaft and got to the point shown in the photo. I have no problem taking out the bottom pins and brackets but can anyone tell me how i should remove the top torque shaft safely?uploadfromtaptalk1440404001511.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1440403987183.jpg

If you just want to remove the torsion bar, you need to disconnect where it fits into the adjuster bracket - remove the end plate to get at the circlip on the shaft, then unbolt the outer bracket on the adjuster and a couple of split bushes, then it is easily extracted. Another option (and what I ended up doing - Ozzie Saladin) if you're stripping the Saracen is to remove all the bolts holding the wheel station and torsion bar adjuster from the inside (you'd need to remove the bevel box pinions to get at a couple) and take the whole kit and caboodle off. I found it much easier to pull them apart (particularly removing the torque tubes) when they were on the floor.

The actual torque tubes on mine were very hard to shift and I ended up having to belt them out with heat, a thick bar and a sledge hammer. I believe there is an extractor but I couldn't source one and don't think it would have worked on mine, they were so seized.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

James

Edited by Aussie

Cheers

Will give it a go. I'm stripping this one for spares, the inside has already been stripped so hopefully it should be a straight forward case of undoing the bolts from inside!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk