AEC Mk3 Hub bearings

julezee001

Just jacked up the front of my Militant to have a quick check over to run to the War and Peace Revival, and have found that I need wheel bearings both sides. Whilst I'm unlikely to get it done for the show, I hope to order the bearings tomorrow, but wondered whether anyone knows whether they are the same as on the Mk1 which are both Timken; outer 594/592A, inner 598X/592A?

Oh and does anyone have a cheap set lying around?!!

Jules

Edited by julezee001
Missed out details

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I had an outer one begin to break up on my Mk1 a couple of years ago, and whilst it hadn't totally failed, I replaced both inner and outer taper rollers, and the top swivel bearing too. They're such noisy vehicles in the cab it's really hard to hear a rumble in the transmission. The Mk 3 has quite a lot of play on the drivers side, and a bit on the passengers, but unfortunately both have a noticeably rumble when spun by hand.

They are adjusted by shims between the bearing races, and secured by one large outer nut. It's such a big job, it's just more time efficient to get and fit new bearings as the shims should be right (not sure who stocks them?). I'd suspect the bearings are original, so have done 45 years in service, and abused out of service. If I fit new, they're done properly and with the limited use they get will last at least another 45 years.

Jules