Saracen transfer box - no dipstick

trophy160

Here is a picture of the transfer case of my Mk 5, the last time I had to have the floor up, with the dipstick circled in red. The front of the vehicle is towards the top of the picture (you can see the back of the handbrake assembly and the lower seat mounts), and the back is towards the bottom (you can make out the fuel tank, and the edge of the hole into which the commander's seat drops onto the spigot).

Normally, you would only open up the oblong access panel, in which case the dipstick is at the lower right of it and may be a bit hard to see (it's an oblong for a reason though). You need to unscrew it with a wrench.

WP_20141018_009.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks Terry, have just been to my Saracen and photographed the gearbox and can see the dipstick as shown in your photo, I think I was being fooled because I was looking for a dipstick (handle) as shown in the manual. Was reluctant to unscrew things in ignorance in case spring flew out never to be in again.

Nic

Thanks Terry, have just been to my Saracen and photographed the gearbox and can see the dipstick as shown in your photo, I think I was being fooled because I was looking for a dipstick (handle) as shown in the manual. Was reluctant to unscrew things in ignorance in case spring flew out never to be in again.

Nic

No problem mate, it took me a while to find it too :P

Another trick I use is when topping up the gearbox and transfer cases, rather than removing the filling plugs and pouring in there, I just stick a long flex funnel in through the dipstick holes. It lessens the risk of dropping the plugs (the chain is missing off my gearbox one (hence the reason I removed the floor plate...)), and it also allows the funnel to go around the seat base for the gearbox.

Cheers,

Terry