Tank Museum M2 Bridging Rig

Sean N

A few years ago there was an M2 Bridging and Ferrying Rig in Berlin camouflage in the Tank Museum yard - anyone know anything about it or what happened to it?

Apropos of nothing, a couple of days ago I rediscovered Lionheart 84 on YouTube. About day 10, Blue started the counteroffensive and BFBS spent a lot of that day's report watching 28 Ambitious Engineer Regiment* putting in an M2 bridge over the Leine for the Chieftains to cross. Always worth a watch.

Sadly, I could only find ten days' worth. A subsequent report again featured Tpr Valentine, Royal Hussars to close, and his end of report was longer and even funnier.

_____

* If you think that's a typo, you weren't there, man.

That's a very small ditch to put M2s in!

I think one of those may have been our old one - I say may have been as I'm not sure I can recall the serial and I can't read the registrations in the video.

I'm surprised no-one knows about the Bovvy one though

That's a very small ditch to put M2s in!

I think one of those may have been our old one - I say may have been as I'm not sure I can recall the serial and I can't read the registrations in the video.

I'm surprised no-one knows about the Bovvy one though

To be fair the bloke in the video says exactly that, so small it creates different challenges.

Thing is on exercise, the river traffic would tend to get upset if their living was brought to a halt by an M2 bridge blocking their way (like the family in the inflatable in the video.)

As far as the exercise is concerned, you only need a line. A drainage ditch fills this purpose as well as the mighty Weser. In fact on Salisbury Plain, where there are no meaningful rivers, the roads are used. The crossing points you'll see, hardened to allow tanks to cross without destroying the road surface, are designated as bridges and the roads are generally out of bounds to heavy exercise traffic.

Many's the time we spent the night in an OP observing the "bridge".

In the Corps area, the Leine regularly represented a stop line of far more significance than it deserved.