Merlin Report / FOI requests

robin craig

Question

I have done an FOI request and received the reply from the nice folks at the MOD.

The problem is that the history doesnt ever show the trailer in question ever coming to Canada and also it claims it was disposed of in the UK at Withams and yet I know that it was sold over here not Withams.

I have sent MOD a picture of the data plate just in case I am myopic and cant read but if not then Merlin is so wrong.

Any thoughts?

Robin

4 answers to this question

You don't state how many hands of private ownership the trailer has passed through - since demob ?

I would expect that the original buyer from auction or whatever would receive a copy of the MOD "Relese Notes" along with a receipt for money paid , if the Release Notes have not been passed on - possibly available filed somewhere ? Then it is a ID check of hardware plate against the Release Notes..

There must have been some docs involved.

MOD Form 666 (For Local Taxation Officer) (Public highweay registration for benefit of UK UK D.V.L.A. - BUT not for trailers)

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE

CERTIFICATEOF TRANSFER-EX GOVERNMENT VEHICLE

MOD Form 654

APPLICATION FOR DISPOSAL OF A CAST VEHICLE (blue copy)

(Part 3 would be stamped by auctioneer or authorised seller , signed & dated)

Ruxy,

you forget I am in Canada it seems.

The first owner in Canada after sale is a chap who makes his money selling used stuff, he doesnt have the 654 or even if he did i likely heated his workshop for one second in his wood stove.

The fatc it came out of BATUS is a given as this chap only buys BATUS gear.

Next owner never registered it, did the plate swaperoo game.

Hope this helps

Robin

I am aware you are a Canada resident.

Just diplomatically pointing out " possession and 9/10 of the law" , can't see the UK MOD creating another special release note document for Canada for traceability of ownership. You could have a Jeep owner hitching up at Fort Wainwright & driving over the border. If the first private owner was a dealer then he may keep the document to keep himself safe , otherwise it is often handed over at each change in ownership (that being the best series of event) .