Rhodesian Ferret Owners?

robin craig

Question

5 answers to this question

I can't assist directly, but it may be helpful to browse around the New Rhodesian Forum (NRF) and post a message (http://www.newrhodesian.ca/index.php)

The site is devoted to everything Rhodesian, with a heavy slant towards military stuff and there is quite a lot of stuff on vehicles. More to the point, there are connections to people who collect in this area of interest including vehicles and so on.

I'd be interested to know the background to your post if you are happy to share? My interest is in Rhodesian Unimogs..

Dear Neil, seeing as how you asked I will elaborate. There was a really nice Rhodesian Army recruiting pamphlet or poster on ebay uk at that time with a Ferret on the cover. I wanted to make sure a Rhodesian Ferret owner got a crack at it. I was also eager to see if we could flush any of the many lurkers out from the shadows, but none emailed me, as is oft the case when they wish to remain under cover. I went to school with a white Rhodesian lad who was the son of a farmer, we boarded together, saw and heard a whole different perspective after spending a term with him. Regards Robin

It is interesting to hear that there is at least one Rhodesian Ferret over here. The odds on having got one over here seems quite slim given the transition to Zimbabwe and the difficulty in getting anything in the way of military equipment out of the country. Are there any features that identify Rhodesian Ferrets, specifically?

The guy in the poster image is Darrell Winkler, formerly a US Army Officer and then serving with the Rhodesian Armoured Car Regiment from about 1977 onwards. If there are any genuine Rhodesian vehicles in the UK, it would be very interesting to hear about them / see some images.

And if there is anybody interested in this aspect of military history, then I really would urge you to take a look at the NRF - see earlier post.