Fitting CVR(T) Messier Dampers

mill comms

Dear All,

I have a set of Messier dampers I need to fit to the Samson, I have the late type bolt through trailing arm type to fit, supplied with new tapered insert and washer.(as fitted to all LEP CVRT)

I need to remove the old steel pin in the trailing arm to fit the new insert.

Does anyone out there know the best way to remove the old steel pin from the trailing arm??, or has anyone done this modification.

So can it be done fitted to the vehicle or does it have to be removed and extracted with a bearing press?

Removing those pins is hard work!... but it is perfectly possible with the arms still on the vehicle. I've done it on the petrol Spartan we had. You'll need to make up an extractor, I borrowed one made by another forum member for the same task. You will also require a very long breaker bar. I think we had to use one that was 900mm long or longer to get enough torque to pull the pins through. The new inserts will go in much easier, I think we knocked them in with a hammer and block of wood.

If you do have the time/space and a press it might be easier to remove them from the vehicle and do it that way.

Chris