Underneath the Leyland Tower Wagon - are there any photos out there?

Redherring

Hello all. Abbey Pumping Station is Leicester's Museum of Science and Technology, and therein is parked a very unique vehicle. I refer to the 1911 Leyland Tower wagon. It is unique because it’s the only complete Leyland type S2.30.T. Where S2 refers to the engine version, 30HP, and the ‘T’ refers to the T-type rear axle.

Mike Sutcliffe‘s two beautifully restored S type Leylands are of the type S3.

​Why am I interested? Well, I have in my shed what I believe to be an S2 chassis with a T axle. I also have an S3 engine but have no idea how it differs from the S2! It is possible my chassis was built for the Bennett & Wood Company of Sydney to a design in the Leyland Drawings Register dated July 1911. Many of the chassis’ features suggest it predates the S3 version, including sliding spring shackles, industrial-sized and plain front wheel bearings, and a gear/brake quadrant that was of the earlier S2 type pattern.

So! I have a request to make. Has anyone taken any photos of the Leicester Tower Wagon? I am desperate for photos of the chassis and engine before I embark on a restoration project. I’m not so interested in the body. What I need are photos of the vehicle taken from underneath looking up at the chassis and componentry. Having said that, every early Leyland was different! I suspect that each was designed ‘fit for purpose’ for a client and modified as designs improved. I expect the Tower Wagon will differ in some respects from my chassis, however most of the components would have been interchangeable. I need to know exactly what components sit under the Tower Wagon and how these are attached to the chassis – chassis fastenings, brakes, pivots, gearbox, cone clutch, engine etc...

So there you have it. Any photos of the Leicester Tower Wagon would be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Robert

Yes, Mike and I are in communication. And to the previous reply... I'm not sure how to answer this... The reason I'm interested in looking up from underneath is that the Tower Wagon chassis is covered with a body that hides the machinery and I'm vitally interested in the machinery. I have had some communication with the museum and they very kindly sent me a few very useful photos. If I traveled anywhere near Europe I'd sidetrack and do my own survey. Alas that's not going to happen in the near future. Although the school fees are almost done! Cheers.