Ferret Fluid Flywheel

61Ferret

Hi All. Last fall, I had introduced myself as the new owner of MK2/3 Ferret 00DC75. Have completed a number of repairs, mostly fuel system, and I am now resolving a fluid flywheel leak. Have identified the leak as coming from the front/rear casing flange and I've started the repair. Since everything is already disassembled, I will also change the seal. When reading the field repairs handbook (EMERegulations, Wheeled Vehicles V 624, Ferret MK 1 & 2, Technical Handbook-Field Repairs) paragraph 30(d) states "Remove the rear bearing and housing from the rear casing." Further on, paragraph 33(e) states "No attempt should be made to remove the housing from the rear casing. The housing is pressed into the casing and then machined to receive the bearing." Are these two paragraphs refering to the same housing and if yes, which is correct with regards to remove or not remove the housing? I ask this as paragraph 31(d) states "Use jointing compound on...rear bearing housing" and I want to ensure this is done if required . Also wondering if anyone has gone so far as to remove the flywheel bearing front center when overhauling the fluid flywheel because of a leak? Again, I ask this as there must be some kind of seal and wonder if it is possible that it could leak. The backside of the front casing is not visible and I assume that seeing a leak from that area would only be possible by removing the flywheel bearing front center. Paragraph 33(f) states "DO NOT remove the center from the flywheel" while the first part of paragraph 35 (starting ring renewal) states "remove...flywheel bearing front center". Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts on this and I hope my questions make sense.

Terry.

Edited by 61Ferret

Hi Robin. Yes, Terry from Mississauga. Have seen the pics of your flywheel overhaul and noticed that you did remove the bearing and housing from the rear casing. The field repairs technical handbook seems to suggest doing this when dismantling the the fluid flywheel in paragraph 30(d) but then states not to do it in paragraph 33(e). Am I reading these paragraphs correctly? Did you have any issues when doing this. From your pics, looks as though you made up a gasket to put between the bearing housing and rear casing. Handbook does not make reference or specify using such a gasket but does specify the use of jointing compound. Your thoughts? You most likely replaced the bearing, do you have a makers name and bearing number. Spent most of the afternoon cleaning the casing flanges and other parts. What a pain in the you know what!! Sent you a CD with pics from Aquino Tank Day. Have they arrived as yet?

Terry

Edited by 61Ferret

Question about rear casing and bearing housing has answered itself. After removing the bearing from the housing, I gave the housing a tap from the rear and it slid out from the rear flywheel casing. Little effort was needed and glad this worked out the way it did. It would have most likely leaked after the flywheel was reassembled/installed and would have resulted in a second go at it. Sourced a new rear bearing from a local supplier. Bearing is SKF #6209. Will be using Permatex Anaerobic Sealant with recommended surface prep spray. Spoke with one of their technical reps who recommended this product after describing the application to him. Not sure if anyone else has discovered this, but a 25mm socket is a better/tighter fit on the flywheel drain/filler plug. I found that with a 1" socket or proper flywheel plug tool, the fit is somewhat sloppy and results in rounded corners on the filler plug. Thinking back to a few months ago when I topped up the oil in the flywheel, using the 25mm socket to break the seal and using the proper tool to remove the plug would be a good way to do this.

Reading other threads on the subject of the Ferret fluid flywheel, the double lipped John Deere seal AT52447 is often suggested as a good alternative to a single lip original seal. When disassembling the flywheel on my Ferret, I found the seal to be of the John Deere type. I was not aware of this repair having been done before I took ownership of the Ferret. This prompted a call to the previous owner who explained that it was changed about 5 years ago. Here are some observations about the use of this seal that others might find helpful. The leak on my Ferret was from the outer flywheel flange and not the seal. The seal has been in for the last five years and has held up for that time although the Ferret has seen minimal use. The seal was still pliable/soft. The seal had a good fit around the runner shaft and a good tight fit into the seal housing. The lipped metal washer that fits against the seal was put in with the lip facing away from the seal. There seem to be no issues with this.

Hope this info is helpful to anyone else facing this repair.

Best Regards, Terry.

Terry.

Edited by 61Ferret