Book pass around?

Jack

Now oddball has got me thinking (but then he has always made me wonder :shock: ) we were talking about books earlier on this morning and he posted up a picture of the front cover of Dodge book.......

There are loads of books out there that would be of benefit to all of us, so how about if we have a book passaround where by you have a book for a month and then you forward it on to the next member who would like to read it?!

An HMVF library?

Cheers.

Jack.

Sorry, I don't want to appear as a kiljoy on this one, but what the hell.

Sounds like it could end up to be a bit of a logistical nightmare as someone would need to maintain a central database to keep track of all the books available & where they were at any time, send out reminders etc. Obviously books can be heavy items & therefore expensive to post & people could end up seriously out of pocket. Then there is the problem if a book gets lost or damaged & once it has passed through 150 pairs of hands it is going to be knackered so who will replace it? If it's a rare one it might be impossible to replace.

Sorry for so many negative waves, it's a good idea in theory though.

See what you are saying Oddball and it doesn't sound as bad as you think.

I would look at HMVF funding the purchase of books etc etc (or donations :D ). Looking at the logistics part that could be easily overcome by using certain software or by having to post up in the library who has what and when they are due back. With regards to postage, I have just weighed Karoshi's GMC TM ( which is in my briefcase :shock: :oops: ) and first class post is £2.81.

That is about the cost of a pint down here in Dorset, I don't think that is a lot seeing as you would have a cracking book for a month and I wouldn't want any expensive/rare books within the library.

So you are saying that the library would stock the more common titles that most people probably already have anyway? :)

Yes and no! You have to remember that us newbies haven't got a huge collection of books, and may not know what to look at for and it would be nice to be able to have a quick scan of some titles, just to pick up some tips etc etc before you go out and buy them.

It is important for HMVF to attract new and young members to the world of MV's, believe me, it can be quite frustrating trying to find your way around this movement, it hasn't been so bad for me as I have met some wonderful and helpful people but not everyone may not be so fortunate :cry:

I would like HMVF to be the first port of call for anyone looking at getting involved with MV's as this way they have a virtual network to all of the groups, dealers and advice at their finger tips and would help to build peoples confidence before the go out into the big wide world on MV's :shock:

...........but if it is a duff idea then please let me know.

Cheers.

Jack.

Hi Jack,

I think it could work very well,if you can work out a system to keep track of everything. if buying books in may I suggest going for the paperback copies as they are cheeper to buy,and thus to replace when somones dog/kid/grandmother eats it,and cheeper to send through the post.

For starters may I suggest Stephen Ambrose's books,all of them!

Cheers,

Matt.

Thanks to Matt I'm halfway through Citizen Soldiers. Ambrose, paperback. Its a gripping read of factual accounts of fox-hole life. A little different to the Hollywood portrayal. Although Ambrose does sometimes forget the Brit and other involement in WW2.

Be a great start. I.S.B.N. 0743450159 £7.99

Thanks to Matt I'm halfway through Citizen Soldiers.

Only 1/2 way :o I've finished mine 8)

Found this one in our local secondhand bookshop the other day

book.jpg

Haven't got very far into it yet, it's a bit heavy going. It's suggesting that the allies had enough intelligence to know that the Germans were planning a breakthrough but didn't put 2 & 2 together.

Why are we talking about books in this section anyway?

and don't forget, MaCDonald was there as a Captain, to win both the Purple Heart and the Silver Star.

The Battle of the Huertgen Forest .

Charles B. MacDonald

224 pages | 5 1/4 x 8

Paper 2002 | ISBN 0-8122-1831-0

also: Company Commander &.A Time for Trumpets by same author, often cited as the finest history of the Battle of the Bulge

a book which inspired the DVD of which I keep on about, "When Trumpets Fade".

Oddball it's cos they're suggestions and not reviews.

Oddball it's cos they're suggestions and not reviews.

Ok why can't we have more sub sections within each category? eg instead of calling it Book Reviews, have the main heading as Books (or Library) then within that section have book reviews, suggested reading, titles dealing with specific subjects etc. Under American vehicles have seperate headings for jeeps, dodges, GMC's (whatever they are) & so on. Just seems to me that we start off talking about a particular subject in one section which drifts onto a completely different subject & ends up becoming a bit confusing when you try to remember where something was.

With my Moderator hat on, I see it that whilst Oddball's suggestion is very worthy, and should be applied later, THIS discussion is about stimulating ideas and comment on the principle.

We are trying to develope a basic idea into a workable practice. If the books presently suggested here in this Tell Us...!forum, don't spark any positive reaction, then I guess the ideas a non starter.

Oddball indicated his type of reading, it happens that it also appeals to me, but it may not suit all. So we need a consensus.

All input is welcome.

As soon as we are agreed that the project go ahead, then we move to the dedicated BOOKS section, and perhaps look to finding a Librarian. (Oddball you listening)

We are trying to develope a basic idea into a workable practice.

Right then! My suggestion is that a "virtual" library would be the way to go (at least initially) which people could browse & then if they were interested in a particular book they could borrow it from their local library or buy a copy maybe via the forum if some sort of deal could be arranged with a wholesaler. I just feel that to set up a "proper" library someone is going to have to spend an awful lot of money.

Hi Oddball,

The problem with an online library would be copyright.to even post a scan of the cover could be considered a copyright infringement.

I don't think it need cost that much to set up a basic library,especially if we donate some books.I have Citizen Soldiers and D-Day in paperback which I'll send to Jack,D-Day is a little dog eared but it did get taken to France last year! this is somthing which would grow over time.

Jack what are your thoughts on this??

Matt.

The problem with an online library would be copyright.to even post a scan of the cover could be considered a copyright infringement.

So how do people like Amazon go on then? I don't really see it being a problem if what we post could lead to a sale for somebody.

Jack what are your thoughts on this??

Matt.

I am listening, if most of think that is wouldn't work or no one is interested then it stay as it is, just an idea.

I think that it is workable just need to gauge if there is enough interest, I for one would use it. The bigger picture in this is the fact that the more we know the more we can pass on the more we can 'keep em rolling'.

A good point there Jack, but remember; to sidetrack a little,

The more you learn

The more you know,

The more you know,

The more you forget,

The more you forget,

The less you know,

So why bother.

But;

The less you learn,

The less you forget,

The less you forget,

The more you remember,

The more you remember,

The more you know,

Unknown

I agree that copyright is a pain and in no way am I claiming to be an ex-spert but I know it can get complicated if scanning/copying etc.

For instance with cover artwork somone designed it so they must hold copyright.

I don't think Oddball meant to scan the whole works in ? did he? DID HE?

No I didn't, you don't have to post a picture at all if it's a potential problem, just have the title & synopsis. Here's another thought for you then- If it's Jack's goal to have a shop on here, wouldn't this be a good place to start?