Leyland Martian 10-TON, CT, 6X6

Welbourn

Yup Fv1110, that's the last one remaining, 3 Fv1103 and an Fv1121 have already had the chop. Some of it is in my shed, need the weather to warm up then go get a bit more.

Bill, I'll Pm you the wherebouts, as I think the owner would rather the location is not overly publicised, as I believe he is fed up with people just wandering around willy nilly. If you ask permission first, he's not actually a bad chap.

I went to this old airfield quite a few years ago and got a cab for my hippo and lots of other bits. Fantastic place and have managed to spend several days there on and off. Sadly due to the increase in scrap prices a couple of years ago a lot of the vehicles and plant have gone by comparison to my first visits. I remember seeing a complete Mighty Antar with fifth wheel coupling at least 7 Hippos, maybe 4 Martians, a complete Explorer with the petrol engine still (The owner of the yard told me this had been sold for restoration but I don't know if it went or not) Bedford ql tanker. Matador tanker, A complete Dukw that had collapsed in the spot that it had sat for years, Commers etc etc etc. If you wanted some big plant spares then this was your man. He is a great guy and we got on really well with him. He didn't know me from adam to start with and he let me use his tellyhandler for the day and was happy to leave us there to get on with it, saying "shut and lock the gate on your way out"!! "oh and if you see anybody wandering around tell them to fu@@ off"!! Brilliant. Todays modern health and safety wouldn't have room for that eh. He can be a bit pricey but if you are dealing with plant then the prices are high. He told me about when him as a 16year old and his dad and other family members used to go off to the mod sales at ruddington and buy lots of old trucks etc and they would drive them all to their present location in the 80's! First one back would wait a while then retrace their steps to collect any that had broken down!! As I say, they were teenagers at the time. Great fun.

I think me and the missus took about 3films of photos whilst there.:laugh:

• 1 year later...
Yup Fv1110, that's the last one remaining, 3 Fv1103 and an Fv1121 have already had the chop. Some of it is in my shed, need the weather to warm up then go get a bit more.

Bill, I'll Pm you the wherebouts, as I think the owner would rather the location is not overly publicised, as I believe he is fed up with people just wandering around willy nilly. If you ask permission first, he's not actually a bad chap.

Hi, just wondering if there was any chance of anything left at said site...I'm after a few bits for mine,...or a number to find out.?

Rgds Will.