Photos and copyrights

martylee

I was about to post a few screen shots of a movie I've seen, when I started wondering whether it's allowed or not. It's a review of a movie for the movie topic. It'll include borth source and some nice remarks.

Is it okay to post a few shots? Or better link to official website if available?

Marty

You have to be very careful. I would link to the official site if possible. At work we get lots of tv/film stills and what we call videograb images from agencies who make their money from copying tv progs/films. They always attach a disclaimer making it clear that they do not own the copyright and are simply providing a version as a service. This is how they make their money...I think that a similar disclaimer is OK in our case. But it's all about getting permission to use. The web has changed everything in many ways and I am not too sure how vehemently any film or tv company would be (excluding specifics like Fox's The Simpsons or any Disney - Buena Vista International) about policing their material. The adage about any publicity being good publicity does apply as a rule but the whole trademarks thing can be a painful matter.

Test the water. But we must credit the copyright holder of the snap (if known)/the book title and page number/the publisher. If there is a complaint, we kill the post. I doubt if a copyright holder would pursue any further, provided we kill any post they ask us to.

• 1 month later...

Like Snapper said, if you use a picture or film clip just add the copyright holder name or web add. Many folk have used my pictures in the past and as long as they add the website address I dont mind. As for printing because money will be parting hands IE books, mags then purmission will need to be granted to stop any confustion later on down the line. Picture pirasy is a problem but there is'nt much you can do as I found out, they just don't reply to your emails but HAHO.

I have found in the past that if you do use a picture in a book then just a quick email to the publisher normally works.

Tony

P Mili