RAC Alumni Reunion

Please bear with me on this: eventually you'll see where I am going (literally).

As an alumnus of the Royal Armoured Corps, a leaflet came through my door a couple of days ago. There follows a transcript of the relevant bit:

RAC Alumni Reunion

Saturday 23rd June 2007

We would be delighted to see you at this year's reunion, which is being held at the Officers' Mess in Allenby Barracks on the first day of The Tank Museum's major summer event: All American Armour.

Alumni parking will be in the Barracks and guests will have exclusive access to and from All American Armour, via the side gate to the Museum, (just a short walk from the Officers' Mess.) This year a nominal fee of £5 is being charged per adult attending (including entrance to the event.) The day will be an occasion to catch up with friends and for the family to have a great day out.

Timings are as follows:

10.00 - 11.00 am Arrive, tea / coffee in the Officers Mess.

12.00 - 2.00 pm Running buffet & BBQ in the Officers Mess.

Arena displays commence at 11.00 am and continue throughout the day with the highlight of the day being an explosive mock WWII battle at 2.00 pm, including a number of re-enactors and the fearsome Tiger tank.

Please return the form blah blah

So, last August on my birthday Wor Lass kindly allowed me to take her to Bovvy and she freely admits to having quite enjoyed herself even if, being recuperating from illness, she tired rather quickly. I missed last year's Tankfest at Bovvy (partly because she was still recuperating and partly because I hadn't realised she had so mellowed toward my loving those "magnificent engines of steel and gleam" * as much as I love her).

Have any of you fine chaps been invited along to offer up your Shermans and Halftracks as fodder for the Bovington tiger, or are they just looking for puddlejumpers with with the gruntcruncher can bloody its tracks?

Whatever, Wor Lass is not averse to attending (and I am working on nipper, for whom 23 June is his first day as a post-graduate), so if any of you are going to be there, we might just meet.

Anybody has questions, you may wish to chat up - I mean chat TO - Debbie Barker at the Museum on 01929 462529.

* "magnificent engines of steel and gleam" © Bob Calvert, "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters

See also: http://www.starfarer.net/captlock.html