Centurion Oil pressure gauge capillary tube repair.

PScott

I have just finished removing the old instrument console from my Centurion. The capillary tube from the oil pressure guage ( 26ft long) was broken about 30mm from the end attached to the banjo on the engine block of the Meteor.

I know the capillary tube for the temp gauge is filled with some kind of alcohol ...BUT what is in the capillary tube of the Oil pressure gauge?? Does it use the oil from the engine like conventional modern pressure gauges?

The capillary tube goes into and "round" housing that attaches to the Meteor via a banjo fitting, the capillary tube appears to be soldered into the fitting.

Can i remove the broken piece and re solder the tube back into the housing?

I have a brand new instrument console, but i would like to still repair the old gauge.

Thanks for any help..

Paul.

Paul,

the 'round housing' contains a diaphragm, oil pressure bears against this and it transmits a pressure signal down the sealed capilary tube to the bourdon tube in the gauge. I'm not sure what the transmitting fluid is but it is not engine oil. I suspect any light fluid would do but it must not have any air in it.

This was standard aircraft engine practice to avoid loss of engine oil in the event of the tube being damaged.