CCKW352 Fuel tank threads

R Cubed

I can't remember the size, but it will be an American pipe thread for pitch and threads per inch. Do a web search on American pipe threads there are some very good tables available that will give you TPI and pitch for any given size.

Then see if your local hose dealer can help, some can and some can't. One thing to be aware of, APT's are cut on a taper, look it up you'll find it fully explained, this means that even if you have a thread with the same TPI but it is not an APT union it will not seal.

Pete

even if you have a thread with the same TPI but it is not an APT union it will not seal. Pete

That's one of those "almost, but not quite" things Pete.

If I remember my thread history, NPT is basically the same thread size and pitch as UNF, and was designed originally to seal either against a tapered NPT or a parallel UNF thread, of course it prefers the NPT.

As an example, think about the headless bolts on the Dodge rear springs. They are fitted with NPT grease fittings, but the extractor tool is a plain UNF thread of the same diameter - you just screw it in till it jams then rotate the bolt out.

All the tapered pipe fittings on the GMC or the Dodge will be NPT I think, with one silly exception. On the civilian-style oil pressure gauges the thread into the back of the gauge itself is some oddball non-NPT thread. The absolute best source for all this info is the ORD 7-8-9 Parts List for the vehicle, where all the thread sizes of hose, tube, and fittings are laid out plain and clear.

That's one of those "almost, but not quite" things Pete.

If I remember my thread history, NPT is basically the same thread size and pitch as UNF, and was designed originally to seal either against a tapered NPT or a parallel UNF thread, of course it prefers the NPT.

As an example, think about the headless bolts on the Dodge rear springs. They are fitted with NPT grease fittings, but the extractor tool is a plain UNF thread of the same diameter - you just screw it in till it jams then rotate the bolt out.

All the tapered pipe fittings on the GMC or the Dodge will be NPT I think, with one silly exception. On the civilian-style oil pressure gauges the thread into the back of the gauge itself is some oddball non-NPT thread. The absolute best source for all this info is the ORD 7-8-9 Parts List for the vehicle, where all the thread sizes of hose, tube, and fittings are laid out plain and clear.

NPT, National Pipe Thread, American version of BSP (or BSPT) but slightly different pitch.

Most hose places tend to just keep BSPT which they will sell as NPT as the pitch is simelar to 1/2", then they arnt compatible. Americans also like UNF which is also known as JIC.

Need any pitches or thread sizes just ask, got them all!

Need anything just ask, I AM the Mobile Onsite Hydraulics Hose Man! ;)