ferret issues

guykay

Checked the oil levels In ferret last week. Level in transfer box was very low so topped up to correct level on dipstick. Next outing I was surrounded by an oily flood in the fighting compartment. Obvious question, why was that, what has happened.

Checked the oil levels In ferret last week. Level in transfer box was very low so topped up to correct level on dipstick. Next outing I was surrounded by an oily flood in the fighting compartment. Obvious question, why was that, what has happened.

Just a hunch, but over the years I have come across a number of ex-Cyprus UN Ferrets that have had bad leaks on their transfer boxes. Seems that where ever they were rebuilt (and I could never establish the workshop identity on the data plate), the side output cases of the transfer box had silicone sealer used on the joint faces. Over time this had squeezed out and bolts had become loose. A case of the wrong sealer in the wrong place.

I suggest you check these bolts for tightness, as well as the drain plug of course. ;)

Checked the drain plug & it's tight. Removed drivers seat back, commanders seat & radio tray. Can I just remove the commanders seat rails & assorted fasteners to remove the silver painted cowling around the gearbox to get access to the gearbox end plates you are referring to?

Checked the drain plug & it's tight. Removed drivers seat back, commanders seat & radio tray. Can I just remove the commanders seat rails & assorted fasteners to remove the silver painted cowling around the gearbox to get access to the gearbox end plates you are referring to?

Yes, you are on the right track. The large flange joints I am referring to are on the sides of the central casing, not sure what size the bolt heads are, could be something like 5/8"AF. Certainly not time wasting because you will likely see signs of leakage from somewhere under the covers. Nothing worse than oil running down the floor.