Overlord/Trucks and Troops

Guest bigredone

Guest bigredone

Guys

As I know the two organisers of these events are active on this forum could they please tell me how many trade stands will be attending their events and perhaps an idea of re-enactment groups also attending, as I propose to go to both but not sure which one first.

Thank you in anticipation for any help you may be able to give me on making my decision.

Regards

Paul

Guest WC52 SHMVT

Everyone I know is going to trucks and troops at Beaulieu which seems although a new event to have attracted large amounts of interest.

Not sure what difference the trade stands make to you as they only sell the junk at shows which they cannot sell online.

I know where I am going - BEAULIEU.

Everyone I know is going to Overlord.

As for traders, they are starting to gather pace, it is not possible to quote exact numbers as the entries start with one or two from about November the previous year and then build exponentially to a mad panic in early May. Last time I looked at my file I think there was about 20 so far which is a bit up on typical numbers for this time of year; the end result is usually between 76 and 90.

You have to remember that many traders now will only do Stoneleigh and Beltring; it is a fact that they have a significant overhead loading up their "shop" and carting it across country, setting up and then putting it all away to go home, unpacking etc. With the phone, fax and net many will say they can do just as well staying at home and perhaps everyone is on the cusp of trader decline; there is the trickle too of people retiring from the scene; along with the lack now of large scale surplus sell-offs.

The Living History groups also build over the months typically and I'd have to speak with the booking officer to see what's booked at present although I know some of the largest groups are booked in. However, to publically list who's coming gives me a slight worry regards the Data Protection Act, leave it with me a moment.

Quite some tracks coming this year too, I do hope no one expects a scrap car for you know what. . . . . .clearing it up is a real pain. :-)

R.

Guest bigredone

Thank you Richard for taking the time to reply, I got some nice bargains from your show last year including a working US BC-611 radio for only £40 and a hessian tank camo net for £30

Regards

Paul

Guest bigredone

Just don't seem right to me..........looks to me as if people are trying to cause trouble for Horndean??

Well for what it is worth I belong to both SOE and MVT, and I try and go to as many shows as possible, whoever is organising them. Working for the Military I get enough politics at work and I just want to enjoy my hobby as a re-enactor and I was wondering which of the two shows would be best for me to pick up my stuff, hence the forum.......I will most likely go to Overlord on Sat and Troops on Sun.

Regards

Paul

Thank you Richard for taking the time to reply, I got some nice bargains from your show last year including a working US BC-611 radio for only £40 and a hessian tank camo net for £30

Regards

Paul

That's good news Paul, you never know what gem might be found on a stall, you just have to be vigilant I guess to winkle them out and I can fairly say then everything from mil radios to potted plants, something for everyone we hope. :-)

In your later post; there seems a few who are going to try to do both and they can judge for themselves I think, however, on Sunday the The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment's (Queen's and Royal Hampshires) free-fall team are to drop in, literally, should be fun. :-)

R.

Everyone I know is going to Overlord.

The Living History groups also build over the months typically and I'd have to speak with the booking officer to see what's booked at present although I know some of the largest groups are booked in. However, to publically list who's coming gives me a slight worry regards the Data Protection Act, leave it with me a moment.

Well the Gulf War Society will be at Horndean once again this year....... :-D