Memorial Playground Fundraiser

Jack

It's not often we post requests like the one below. Not because we don't care but it because we get so many that HMVF would be just filled up with them. Like many of us we watched this war with horror - even harder for many of my friends who were there.

Memorial Playground Fundraiser

I am raising funds in order to allow me to purchase, transport and erect a children’s playground in the city of Mostar, Bosnia Hercegovina, in memory of Collette who was fatally wounded during the conflict there in September 1993.

This September will mark the 20th anniversary of Collette’s death, to honour her I am laying a memorial stone in the location where she was initially wounded. At the same location is a run down children’s playground, the swings etc are all damaged by shrapnel and bullet holes from the conflict.

The local children still risk injury to play on the equipment.

During the dedication of the memorial stone I will be hoping to open the new playground for the local children in Collette’s name at a service attended by family, friends and city locals. Collette first went to Bosnia as an aid worker and in doing so she worked in many refugee camps helping adults and children alike, but the children always touched her heart.

I believe the playground will be a fitting memorial to Collette, a place to be filled with the laughter of children, a sound she always loved to hear.

Collette went to Bosnia from her home in Michigan, USA to help others. She had no previous experience, just a heart felt need to do what she could to help those being ethnically cleansed by the bitter conflict in Bosnia.

I first met her in January 1993 when I was there working as a photographer, seven days before she was killed we had become engaged. We shared a short, but very, very special relationship.

For more on her story you can visit her website at www.collettewebster.com

A recent documentary made by the BBC about Collette’s story can be viewed on the vimeo.com website via the link seanandcollette-Quick Time H.264

So the fundraising aim is to have as many people as possible donate just

£1 in the UK, $1 in the United States, Canada, Australia, €1 in Europe (more if wished)

You get the idea

The playground will be set in place along with a ‘Yorkstone’ memorial stone by myself and a team of local volunteers and fire fighters in Mostar, the two together marking a permanent and long overdue memorial to her. Fundraise at your work, your church or by any other means you wish to try.

A PAY PAL account has been set up for the collection of everything raised, funds can be paid in to this account using the ID: capturedimages@talk21.com

For other methods of paying in funds I can be private messaged at my own Facebook account (subject Collette)

I THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE FOR HELPING ME REMEMBER THIS TRULY SPECIAL WOMAN, A LOVE LOST, BUT A LIFETIME OF LOVE REMAINING.

Thank you: Sean Vatcher

A message from Sean via Facebook..

Sean Vatcher Thanks Lee, right now Pay Pal are being a pain. Because the donations have reached the £1,900 limit they have limited the account whilst they check I am not a money launderer. Hopefully they will remove the limit soon (already been 2 days) and donations can be made again. Please ask your forum members not to give up if they do want to donate, the account will be active again soon. Alternatively I can provide individuals with BACS transfer details if they want to donate that way. Thanks for putting this on your forum, much appreciated.

Hi All,

First of all Thank you to Jack for allowing this to be posted.

I just want to say that Sean is a very good friend of mine and this is for real. He is a fellow collector and attends the War and Peace Show. What he is trying to achive is amazing and I hope we can all help him achive his target

If you want to know more please visit http://www.collettewebster.com which will tell you about Collette and what happened, you can also visit http://vimeo.com/search?q=seanandcollette which is a short programe about Sean and Collette and has already been shown on the BBC.

So far we have raised £1375 in 3 days, the Goal is 10,000.00.

I understand money is tight for everyone but If you can donate please go to http://www.gofundme.com/26vug0 or via paypal

Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

Regards

Stuart

Edited by Maverick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just a update, as of today we have raised £3,805.00 in two months which is fantastic.

Sean is out in Bosnia this week talking to TV channels and he also has a meeting with the Mayor about the playground. Things are doing well but I think we are a little bit behind on the money at the moment, we only have 4 months left to collect the money, book flights and buy and ship the playground equipment to Bosnia.

Please please please spread the word via facebook and any other media, there are over 1000 likes on the facebook page at the moment lets see if we can get it higher before Sean comes home.

If you want to know more please visit http://www.collettewebster.com which will tell you about Collette and what happened, you can also visit http://vimeo.com/search?q=seanandcollette which is a short programe about Sean and Collette and has already been shown on the BBC.

I understand money is tight for everyone but If you can donate please go to http://www.gofundme.com/26vug0 or via paypal

Thank you for looking

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well we have raised £3840 in 3 months but we are starting to run out of time to get enough money before September. We do have some events arranged for the summer to get the pennies in but I think thigs are going to be very tight to meet our target. It would be so nice for Sean if we could get the playground and Memorial stone ready for the 20th Anniversary of Collettes Death. so please spread the word and dig deep into your pockets if you can.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Total raised so far is now £5,048. Thanks to all those at W&P who dontated and helped us to raise £880 at the show, We still need more I'm afraid, time is running out and we have got to get the Playground equipment ordered ASAP

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, Playground equipment has been built and payed for and is being shipped within next few days, We are going out there on 21st Sept. Total so far is £8458, we are short by £1541 can anyone help to make up the shortfall and help us hit our target?

Thanks