Vacuum pipe?? Landy??

Sylvester

Question

Hi Folks, now I'm sure I'm going to be called a total T..... ! But... I have a Landy 24V Airportable, on the carb about half way down, just above the mixture screw, is a vacuum hose, this has been blanked off with a piece of rubber hose with a screw in the end! Is this vacuum hose only used on the 12V distributer or, should it still be connected up??

If so, Where!

Any help greatly appreciated,

Fred

8 answers to this question

No problem Fred. I seem to have DZS4A on my brain at the moment, there were at least a dozen of them. But by no means all of them are suitable for Rovers as I have been plotting the advance curves for each. I just wonder how often people see a DZS4A at a nice price & nice condition then put it in their Rover not realising it may not be an ideal variant for their vehicle.

Oh Boy! You got me now!! Ha Ha! ...... What is DZS4A? Is that the carb? If so...What should it have? Curious now as the book that came with it, that really useless thing that they dish out to army drivers cos they aint got abrain! everything refers to " To be carriedout by a Vehicle Mechanic" that comment in the book is really useful when your up to ya neck in muck n bullets and just want to get the F... thing fixed!! ...But in that said book,it shows the Zenith Carb fitted to this vehicle! even though it says absolutely b....all about the vacuum hose! It puzled me why it is fitted to the 24v when it is the carb for the 12v, you would think they would have given it some fancy blanking plate rather than just a tatty bit of fuel line with a screw stuck in the end eh!

The Army never ceases to amuse me!!

Ex Pongo myself !

Thanks

Fred

DZS4A is the distributor, the specific Lucas version is 40753. This is listed on page 13 of the User Handbook AC No. 22228. You are right the description makes no mention of there being no vacuum advance on the screened distributor. But I suppose there is only so much that can be fitted into a handbook. At least you get a few circuit diagrams & a minor amount of technical info.

Current handbooks carry little of this, it is mainly about adjusting the seats, heating etc & the inevitable section on how to destroy the vehicle.