Rec Veh AEC Mk 3, charge warning light switch?

Is there such a thing as a "charge warning light switch"?

Seems daft that you would have a switch to turn off a warning light. I ask because in an EMER there are references in charge fault finding that refers to such a switch.

I have the UHB & can see no such switch identified. Looking at the circuit diagram I can only see a feed that comes from the 6-way lighting switch, but no special switch.

Am I correct in assuming the EMER was badly written & this "charge warning light switch" means that when the warning light circuit is to be switched off, it means put the 6-way light switch to a convoy position & that extinguishes warning lights?

But if the supply to the charge warning light was removed in convoy mode it would also mean you couldn't start the engine with the 6-way switch in this position, as the warning light & the start button share the same supply.

• 1 month later...

The only charge light switch that I am aware of is the ('ignition') key-operated switch which is part of the lighting switch assembly. I had a charging light problem on my Milly which I successfully sorted using your "All Charged Up Part 3" thread and so I would concur with the latest amendment to that (Part 4 v 4.1) which clarifies the position as above, i.e. the switch is the key, and not the convoy position on the light switch.

Edited by Iain Crosbie

Ok Iain thank you for that. What saved my bacon was coming across the UHB with circuit diagram just as I was going to press as it were. Although I now have few other things to add in readiness for the next update!

A slight puzzle is this.

Mk 2 & earlier Gen Panels have a feed from the ignition to activate the field isolating relay, but it also carried the feed through to the generator connector, although the generator itself has no need for an ignition feed.

Mk 3 Panels no longer needed a field isolating relay, but none the less this ignition feed F PL2 to G SK1 still exists & has a bypass capacitor.

In the Rover harness panel to generator there is no feed G, but I notice it is depicted in the AEC harness. Quite why I don't know as there is nothing there that needs this feed.

Looking in an EMER I see a test bench described where a switch to the +ve rail can be operated simulating the ignition feed & it is marked "AXIAL STARTER"

So there is some vehicle that has a starter circuit permitted after activating a relay fed from the ignition feed that come out of G. It seems the only two other applications could be Stalwart or BV202. I have a Stalwart UHB but sadly there is no circuit diagram.

Perhaps a Stalwart owner can help out?