Smock Combat Sateen - Size 9

Eaglehurst

Nice Jason !!! AND, another new manufacturer (Albert Gill).............

These Korean-era pre-60 pattern smocks are increasingly hard to find, especially the larger sizes.........in the late-80's I managed to find a pile of NOS 56-57 dated sateen smocks but Size 1 only..........they were only £5 each and like a complete imbecile, I only bought one !!!!:embarrassed:

Interestingly, stocks of these pre-60 pattern garments continued on issue throughout the 60s to use up stocks........and externally they are little different from the first issues of the 1960 pattern with the unmodified sleeve design (made up to 64-65 at the latest) although internally are fully lined as opposed to the 60 pattern where the lining finishes at the waist.......

All you need to do now Jason is to find a pre-52 smock in gabardine rather than sateen.......:D

All you need to do now Jason is to find a pre-52 smock in gabardine rather than sateen.......:D

Possibly a daft question, but how do you tell if they're made of Sateen or Gabardine as my one has a scrubbed label? It has horn coloured buttons rather than olive green if that's of any help to dating it.

Possibly a daft question, but how do you tell if they're made of Sateen or Gabardine as my one has a scrubbed label? It has horn coloured buttons rather than olive green if that's of any help to dating it.

The 1st issue smock in gabardine, made up to 1952, can be identified by the appearance of the outer fabric in respect of weave and weight. Basically, it is very finely "ribbed" in appearance and the same fabric as used on the windproof smocks, etc. As the smock, including the early production 60 patterns made up to around 1964, are lined in gabardine also, the lining would make a good comparison..........sateen, on the other hand, is a rather plain weave without any noticeable "rib" to the finish together with being thicker and heavier in feel and weight.......

The changeover was done fairly early on (1952) as the initial issues in gabardine were found to be not as hard-wearing and durable as the later garments in sateen.........this changeover in outer fabric affected not only the combat smock but also the trousers, hood and middle parka........

Only the sateen garments feature the fabric description on the label, and then not always, and this only lasted until the 60 pattern came in which is lacking any fabric description at all.....pre-52 garments made in gabardine do not feature any fabric description on the label at all.........it's all down to appearance, feel and weight....! :-D

Buttons on 1950-era combat garments are commonly a light green or brown vegetable-fibre / resin type that are not very hard-wearing and seem to deteriorate with age......the 1960 pattern saw a changeover to the more durable dark green plastic variety.....

Edited by wdbikemad

• 1 year later...

Here's another smock sateen, recently bought by me off ebay. These don't seem to come up very often and I thought under £50 all in was not bad. It looked horrid on the listing but apart from smelling like a damp cellar turned out to be all right. This one's a size 8 and uncomfortably tight on me at 6 foot 2 and 44 chest, whereas my later 60 patt size 8 is a perfect fit. The date is hard to make out but seems to be 53 or 55. Maker is Silberston, zip is DOT.

Smock sateen labels.jpg

Smock sateen top.jpg

Smock sateen back.jpg

Smock sateen front.jpg

Edited by Edward53