Dodge wc T214 230 engine

terryo

Question

Hi everyone , could anyone tell me the correct torque of the cylinder head nuts of the T214 230 cu inch engine ? , i have checked the manual and they list the cap screws at 65-70 foot pounds and the stud nuts at 52-57 foot pounds , what are stud nuts and what are cap screws ? thanks

9 answers to this question

Hi everyone , could anyone tell me the correct torque of the cylinder head nuts of the T214 230 cu inch engine ? , i have checked the manual and they list the cap screws at 65-70 foot pounds and the stud nuts at 52-57 foot pounds , what are stud nuts and what are cap screws ? thanks

Presumably stud nuts are nuts for cylinder head studs, a cap screw is a fully threaded bolt with a built in washer.

The T214 head is held down but a combination of studs and nuts and hex head bolts for the oil filter brackets.

The studs are UNC into the block, but the "stud nuts' are UNF, whereas the hex head bolts ( cap screws ) are just UNC into the block, hence different torques because of the differing thread mechanical advantages.

Dodge practice was to have UNC thread into castings, and UNF everywhere else for better torque characteristics.

Edited by Gordon_M

Hi gordon , i only have nuts and studs , there are no bolts fitted , from the picture of the cylinder head tightening sequence shown on the vintage power wagons website 3, 6, 10, 11, 17, 19, 21, are supposed to be studs and nuts and the rest look to be bolts , this engine was re built in germany in the 1960,s so they must have been changed then , should i do the nuts up to the torque for bolts ?

Just check one thing. Your studs should be UNC at one end and UNF where the nuts are. If all the nuts are UNF, use the same torque for all.

I vaguely remember some of the oil filter mounts depend on the bolts being there, so they must have worked round that. I do have a T214 in the garage ( in my T-36 Snow Tractor ) and I'll have a look next time I'm there.