Unusual dress.

boots dms

I was perusing some old 1980,s copies of Soldier magazine I had aquired when I came across some pictures of Royal Welch Fusilers on UN duties wearing the normal green tml,s but with tropical dpm jackets( tucked in). This is not the first time I have seen this mode of dress, allways with fighting order on and weapon. I was just curious , was this an official mode of dress or an alternative to heavy 68 smocks in warm weather,but then again why not a complete tropical suit.As an aside I remember once seeing an officer in full dpm tropical kit with an olive wool combat shirt underneath as you would with temperate dpm suit( this was in UK).!

I was perusing some old 1980,s copies of Soldier magazine I had aquired when I came across some pictures of Royal Welch Fusilers on UN duties wearing the normal green tml,s but with tropical dpm jackets( tucked in). This is not the first time I have seen this mode of dress, allways with fighting order on and weapon. I was just curious , was this an official mode of dress or an alternative to heavy 68 smocks in warm weather,but then again why not a complete tropical suit.As an aside I remember once seeing an officer in full dpm tropical kit with an olive wool combat shirt underneath as you would with temperate dpm suit( this was in UK).!

I see it it as entirely commonsensical and no cause for concern. Our regiment only ever wore combat trousers whilst on guard duty. At all other times by default it was lightweights and if a combat jacket was necessary, it was worn. Official dress in NI was combat jacket and lightweights. Strikes me simply as an extension. I note they were infantry:evidently they like we felt appropriate dress was more important than dress according to some regulations issued from some ivory tower.

Note I was never issued with tropical combats. If it got too hot, combat jacket without shirt was entirely acceptable.