Bedford mk in the snow ( chains/studs)

garry taylor

Hi

Im in Iceland with my bedford MK, on the 5th of January i will be driving it to africa, the problem is, i have to drive around Iceland first, it will only be 2 or 3 days driving, but there is still a good chance that there will be snow/ice on the road....and i dont mean a little...more like the road is packed snow....everyone here uses studs.....should i put some in....or try to find chains...and were can i get some chains...without breaking the bank...i will be in the uk in a few weeks time, so i could get them in the uk

im driving on the old bar grip type tyres which are ment to be real slippy in the snow...and i got a couple of hills to go over ....bothing real real bad, but still it is Iceland

any suggestions

Try this place. Snowchains . WWW.SNOWCHAINS.CO.UK They can supply super size chains.

looks like we will be putting screw in studs in the tyres....the tyres are old but should hold hopfully and we are on the way to africa so im not worryed about the MOT....the studs are a like a quater of the price of chains

I know they quoted 9 x 16 ladder type chains for the Dodge at £150 a pair. A looong time a go a friend who worked for BP was based in Africa. The first thing he did when he got back on leave was order 5 remould 7 x 16 tyres for his Land Rover. He reckoned that the cost of buying and shipping was worth it and he could sell the old set in Africa for the price of the new plus profit. May well be worth aquiring some extras.

Edited by Tony B

Sorry for the late reply but here goes.

The old style bar grip tyres have a single band of rubber in contact with the road all the time. There are no gaps.

You will have lots of problems and risk coming off the road.

I live and operate 2 Bedford MJ trucks in Canada. I do have experience with what I talk about.

Once there is enough now or especially ice on the road you will be relying on your forward momentum to get you up the next hill, if you have to apply power or brake that is when you will experience the joys of those tyres.

R

• 1 year later...
Sorry for the late reply but here goes.

The old style bar grip tyres have a single band of rubber in contact with the road all the time. There are no gaps.

You will have lots of problems and risk coming off the road.

I live and operate 2 Bedford MJ trucks in Canada. I do have experience with what I talk about.

Once there is enough now or especially ice on the road you will be relying on your forward momentum to get you up the next hill, if you have to apply power or brake that is when you will experience the joys of those tyres.

R

In the end i put screw in studs in the tyres

A chum of mine is icelandic and he and other do tours up onto the glaciers - what they dont know about driving in the conditions isnt worth knowing.

I also know that there are a number of Green Godess fire engines out there so there could well be some tyres you could use. If there are Steiner will know who to ask (after all there are only about 250,ooo icelandics and they all seem to know each other!)

PM me and I will forward you my contacts details

Ive seen a good few green goddess in Iceland and they are all on regular bar grip....

the bar grip were good for africa, but not so great for high speeds, but as its a mk...there is not a lot of high speeds...i did meet one guy up here who had on of the small army MAN 4x4 and his tyres were not bar grip, but he seaid they were no good in the snow eather...i thing studs are the way to go.....as you could not use chains as there normaly is not enthoue snow for them...especaly over long distances