Saracen history, do you own one of these?

fv1609

Hi Clive, I am trying to put together a list of sarrys, with pictures if possible and none of the numbers you listed featured on the list I have! Not really Sherlock, am I?.

Please put up the info nonetheless as I am sure a lot of people will find it interesting.

Something odd I picked up was a duplicate registration number (32 BA 52), of a picture on the internet and the other I took down from one of the South African Saracens. Could have been written down incorrectly from the sarry but I doubt it. I going through my photos to try and pick up the picture.

32BA52.jpg

32BA39 Saracen 28 Gurkha Transport Regt Hong Kong

32BA42 Saracen APC Hong Kong

32BA52 Saracen ACV Unknown

32BA52 Saracen Mark 3SA Saracen 88

32BA56 Saracen Clive Elliott

32BA57 Saracen Clive Elliott

32BA60 Saracen

Hi Clive, I am trying to put together a list of sarrys, with pictures if possible and none of the numbers you listed featured on the list I have! Not really Sherlock, am I?.

Probably not, these were all in South Africa in 1956 :-D

Probably not, these were all in South Africa in 1956 :-D

The history bits will then be especially interesting! Chances are very good that it could be saracen 88's! I guess on the first 10 or so were not 88's, but for the rest, I have yet to see a non-88!

Edited by montie

• 1 year later...

Yes Richard it was a requirement a bit ahead of it's time as high power silicon diodes weren't around then. I wonder whether the requirement was somehow fulfilled in SA?

Even when certain Rovers were converted to alternators they used a selenium rectifiers, which seemed not to have been cooled enough hence the later improved cooling as in "toasties".